• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spearfishing with a 3mm wetsuit in water a 8°C

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sancudo

May 19, 2015
Yellow people.

I live in Finland and as you might know it get very cold for a long period but when the spring comes lives turns more collorfull.
I am setting everything for spearfishing this weekend, yesterday I went to the lake to check the temperature and it was about 8°C.
I own a one pice 3mm wet suit(also gloves and neoprene shocks) that I attempt to use for it.
my question is:
is it sufficient aisulation with the 3mm wetsuit to safetly spearfishing or do I am expossing my self for a hypothermina with this H2O temp.

I am new spearo and any sugestion or advise will be more than preciated!!!

Thanks in advance

BR
Sancudo

Depends on your body fat, cold tolerance and quality/fit of your wet suit. Most people will find a 3mm too thin for long time in 8 degree water.

Jeap you are right...but do you think that the 3mm wetsuit will provide sufficiente thermal isulation for a short inmersion with out the risk of hypothermia?

I am in decent shape, with some scuba diving experience and I know the places where I want to go, last summer I map some of the areas were my target fish hunts and they are mostlly shallow water.(hopepfully bit warmer)
Under my wet suit I use a Rashguard to have a little extra isulation ans I use gloves and neoprene shocks but no hood( do not like it much for equalization of the ears )

I am looking forward to be on the water to do my first spearfishing, but the water temperature it is something that has stopping me for some weeks and now when I know that is 8° C I really wonder if it is safe or if I should wait more:(
Any advise?

BR
Sancudo

A hood helps a lot, if you let some water into it there should be no issues with your ears. Some people also make a small hole in the hood over the ear to let water move in more freely (with a heated needle)

You should be fine for a short while, when you start to feel light hypothermia setting in get out of the water and get your body temperature up.

You should be fine for a short while, a hood makes a massive difference, as do the weather conditions, especially the sun and wind! One word of warning, do not go to far from safety, feeling cold to feeling weak does not creep up on you, one minute you can be fine and the next the strength in your arms and legs is gone. Just bare that in mind and get out before or the minute weakness sets in. If you don't things could go really wrong, really quick. Cold water is not to be under estimated ;) Anyway good luck and keep safe.

ok guys.
as I say before I am not fan of the hoods but following your suggestions I get one today and then I jump to the water :)
The weather in tampere was perfect this morning with a nice 13°C but true is that the water temperature is still low (arround 8°C) what make the swiming a bit unconfortable, any way I spot a nice size rock gunnel "Pholis gunnellus"(arround 20-25 cm and about 1 1/2 kilos).
I was ready to action but I didnt know the fish or their preservation status so I pass, now I know a bit more.

As a "PERSONAL" conclusion the 3mm wetsuit is not enough for a comfortable inmersion with the water at temperatures arround 8 °C, but it would provide a suficient thermal isulation for short time period specially in you are interested in stay in shallow waters.
never the less thanks to NoFair and Pinniped72 for their contribution, is more easy to do things when you have the collective intelligence to back you up.

hey one more thing, does somebody know if is good to eat(concerning with the taste) a rock gunnel "Pholis gunnellus"?

BR
Sancudo

Are you sure about the species? The one you listed is pretty small and doesn't weigh anywhere near 1.5 kgs...

Going to be diving up in Lofoten next week, water should be about 8 degrees. I'll be wearing a 5mm:cool:

jep 99.9% sure.
in some countries they call it: butterfish or Rock Gunnel were its called Teisti.(and to be very clear here its latin name "Pholis gunnellus")
It seems that this one was a big fat one for the standart, jejeje
to be as clear as possible I will attach an internet image that I found from this eel-like fish.
good luck in Lofoten NOFAIR, would be better if you go for Scuba Diving to use a dry suit concidering the temp conditions of the are were you are planing your dive?

Be safe and let as know how was it.

BR

Sancudo

Attachments

• TEISTI.jpg
    TEISTI.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 142
Working at Røst so lots of places where it isn't deeper than 20m and water isn't much colder at depth so I'll be fine.

Looked at the latin name (I'm a biologist) and the ones here aren't as large at least ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT