• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Speargun choice 90 cm or 110cm

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Davidfun808

Sep 27, 2018
Aloha all

Looking at getting a aimrite venom aluminum speargun, it will be my 1st speargun. I spearfish on big island hawaii at reef/sandy/wall areas from shallow to 20ish ft. Vis on west side is quite good. Vis on east side is murky. I go out at both. Was wondering everyones thoughts, pros, cons, recommendations between the 90cm and the 110cm? What do u all think? I have been researching this extensively and asked my local shops, local divers etc but still get a mix of answers. So i came here seeking more Look forward to answers. Dave.

How about a 100cm then?
Where I live a 90cm is standard but I would of thought you will have better vis and bigger fish, so on that basis I would recommend a twin band 110cm

Reactions: Mr. X
How about a 100cm then?
Where I live a 90cm is standard but I would of thought you will have better vis and bigger fish, so on that basis I would recommend a twin band 110cm

Thanks foxfish Yes vis here is usually quite good. Im rly just hunting for fun and invasive stuff like Roi groupers. It is so difficult to choose i wish i could buy one of each lol. I thgt the quick maneuverabilitity of the 90cm wld be great, a littlr less range but still good. Then the 100cm sounds like a nice mix. Then the 110cm sounds good also as i get a bit more range, but lose aome mobility. Question is the maneuverability really that drastically different between? Or similar i wldnt notice it? What has everyone else found? Thank you to everyone for there time and responses! Dave.

If fast tracing is your aim then a single band will be better or an air gun.
A mid handle would give you power and good tracking.

To some extent it depends on your hunting style as well. If you are actively swimming prowling over the reef a smaller gun is easier to handle , if you are laying beside a boulder waiting for a grouper to come into range go for a cannon.

I just got my Beauchat Marlin Evil Open 110cm.
It came with one 18mm Megatonne band with dyneema, but i added on top of that one Omer Performer 2, 18mm band 72cm long also with dyneema.
It shoots great! It got the punch and the accuracy. Came with a 6.5mm shaft that got 3 fins, one near the half point and other two at the end of the shaft.
Rubbers load easily, i put longer one (megatonne) at the end and omer bands at the middle.
It has some strong recoil but it is easy to master it.
Gun is easy to move around for its length and open muzzle gives perfect line of sight across the shaft.
Previously i had Omer Excalibur 75cm, also great gun but underpowered for anything but hunting between the rocks. After that i got Mares Sniper Pro 100. That one was a mess, really inacurate, poor quality and the shaft is soft like it is made out of lead.
Anyway i believe a 100/110cm railgun with 18mm rubber (you can also add more), open muzzle and a good shaft is a good choice allround. You can spear near the rocks and wrecks and you can be ready for ambush if anything bit bigger came your way. Also it is a good idea to have a reel mounted on it.

I use a 110 Rob Allen whenever I manage to get to the Big Island. 110 to 120 is the standard for the divers I know there.

I use Teak Sea Hyperion 135 shaft 7.5- 8 mm . and also Seak Sub Guun 120 shaft 7 mm. And no problems with quick maneuverabilitity.
For Hawaii 110 minimum. Much better 115-120 gun. Something like salvimar hero .

How about a 100cm then?

Any day i can recomend a 90 rollergun carbonfiber Ragnarrok!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT