• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Speargun collections

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Hamrrhed

Blue Water Wanna Be
Mar 27, 2001
All,

Motivated by the sweet pictures in the "C4" thread , I figured I'd start a new thread dedicated to members speargun collections.

Heres a picture of my current guns:

the top is an Omer/RA Frankenstein (130cm)
the mid is my new Yokooji (55")
the bottom is my Riffe #0 I used in NoCal.

Looking forward to seeing you collections

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the redundancy, the original pic was too big, so here it goes again

Attachments

• collection.jpg
    collection.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:
It's a yokooji 55" titanium hybrid with an OMER pelagic reel.

How do you like the OMER Reel? I just got one for my Rabitech Railgun and I am thinking about getting one for my hybrid. Two questions:

What size spear have you found ideal in your hybrid? I had been using a 5/16 with two 5/8ths bands, but I think I like 9/32 better.

Where there complications that arose with the line release and the reel to make you go to the alligator clip?

Hey Rabi...What size Hybrid do you have? I have a 50" and a 42" and I use a 9/32" shaft for both. I have three 5/8th bands on the 50" and two on the 42" and I get good accuracy, penetration, and distance from both. Although I think you would be fine with the 5/16" shafts, just having to compensate for a greater drop, I do not think there would be any advantage of the 5/16th shaft over the 9/32" shafts.

As far as reels go, I have a Riffe reel on the 50" and Daryl is currently putting an Omer 50 reel (mounted horizontally) on the 42". Having handled both riffe and Omer reels (yes I have an Omer pelagic as well, got one for sale if anyone is interested) I can say that the Riffe reel is superior for one MAIN reason. With the Riffe reel, when the drag is on, the drag is on only when the line is being pulled out. It is still in freespool when you are reeling line in. (Like the way the drag on flyfishing reels work). The reason I did not put a riffe reel on my 42" is becase it the gun is just too short for such a big reel and Riffe does not make a smaller version. If you do opt for the Omer reel for your hybrid, I reccomend that you have it mounted horizontally instead of vertically. This will minimize the surface area and drag of the gun while tracking a fish. As always, just my opinion.....

The Omer mech is sweet, only I have nothing but problems mounting it to my RA barrel. Im thinking about screwing it to the barrel.
I havent been in the water with my new hybrid yet, but I have the feeling that the twin 9/16 bands it came with will be replaced with twin 16's or 18's (3/4) bands if I can find a supplier. I'll have to wait for a trip to get a feel for what it will take. The 9/32 shaft however seems more than adequate. The 5/16 shaft in my No Ka Oi seemed to be over kill, that lead to many a miss placed shot.

Ive never used the alligator clip, when I changed out the mech I went with the new line release because Ive always felt the Euro type line releases were of poor design. I thought the line had too many snag opportunities with reel in place. Coincidently the new Omer mechs have a side line release comparable to the American mechs.

Anyhow I hope I havent rambled on too much, I hope Ive helped.

Anthony

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT