• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Speargun Design

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Andrew Jackson

Feb 2, 2017
Hi Guys,

I am a Product Design student at my secondary school. I have a passion for spearfishing and diving and i am interested in designing and building a speargun.
The gun will most likely be a reef gun no longer than 100cm and made out of timber with a bought trigger mechanism and shaft.
I am wanting ideas to improve the design of current spearguns.
What are problems with current speargun designs and what needs changing?
Any ideas would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks
Andrew J

Hi Guys,

I am a Product Design student at my secondary school. I have a passion for spearfishing and diving and i am interested in designing and building a speargun.
The gun will most likely be a reef gun no longer than 100cm and made out of timber with a bought trigger mechanism and shaft.

Thanks
Andrew J

Take a look at a Berger/plunger button on a bow. Having something like this in the muzzle of a speargun would alow us to to tune our guns & to compensate for the flex in the spear when fired. Although I dont think it is something really necessary on a 1000mm gun (unless you want to shoot a 5mm spear?), only on guns starting at 1200 & 7mm spears over 1500mm & going up from there. Its a really simple concept which few seem to know about & one that those who do understand usually fix just be adding a little bit of epoxy at the muzzle to lift the spear the necessary amount & to ensure it bends into the spear groove every shot. It would be easy enough to tune & detune a gun simply by raising a button or plate in the muzzle & then make an indices of the results. There are lots of simple things which are yet to be incorporated into speargun design.

Edit to add. Stay away from enclosed tracks, they may have some advantages in loading but they cant be tuned like big open track guns can.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with most designs, different folk like different styles to match the hunting conditions and circumstances.

Hi Guys,

Thanks
Andrew J

Hi Andrew
How are you
Did u end up building a speargun !?

I live in chicago and want to build my own

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT