• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

speargun finishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bluedog

May 30, 2005
I need to apply a finish to a custom teak gun. I have heard many people use West epoxy and just thin it out, has anyone used this? Also, Scott Merlo mentions using Smith's clear penetrating epoxy. I am thinking about using one or the other then following with tung oil. Anyone have any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated

My husband says, the trouble with an epoxy or similar finish is that it can only deteriorate with wear, knocks etc but a true oil finish can be maintained. Try soaking the gun in water first to raise the grain, sand it down smooth (do this 2 or 3 times) then using just tung oil, firstly thinned with white spirit to drive it into the wood (3 or 4 coats) then neat to provide a surface layer. This he says will give an excellent finish that will always look goog and is easily maintained :)

Reactions: Youssef Sammour
Bluedog,

There are a few things to consider regarding what kind of finish you want.

First its almost a crime to put anything on teak. If you were making furniture you could scrape the wood and then burnish it brining out the natural oil in the teak. This is by far the most natural way and the best look in my opinion. There are some light danish oils that can be used to keep furniture pieces from 'drying out'. Problem is, that "natural" provides very little extra protection to the wood in the ocean. Many like teak oil (virtually all products sold as teak oil are a mixture of tung oil and other distillates) or pure tung oil. Many of the teak oils I tried "stained" my guns dark brown which I didn't particullary care for. Use a left over piece of teak to spot check what ever product product you end up using. Pure tung oil by itself provides minimal protection but maintains some "natural" look. I have knocked my reef guns into the reef and left deep gouges in the wood right through the tung oil and other light finishes. For this reason, I have turned to epoxy for my reef guns because it creates a very hard and thick surface. Three coats of epoxy probably equals about ten coats of varnish or polyurethane and the dry time and shrinkage is greatly reduced with epoxy. Problem with epoxy is that it "chips" Again, my thinking is that it is better to chip the expoxy then to gouge the wood. Usually at the end of the "season", i simply sand the chips and scratches and add another protective coat of epoxy.

The other problem with epoxy is it can have trouble adhering to the teak if the teak surface is not properly prepared. You definitely want to use west system epoxy becuase it has held up to the test of time. There is no need to 'raise the grain' with teak in general, and you surely don't want to do it with water. If you are intending to use a waterbased stain or water based polyacrylic and are worried about the grain popping, you might try some distilled water, but again, the natural oil in the teak would just make the water bead up and prevent expoy or oilbased finishes from properly adhering, especially if the wood was not completely dried.

Try this method ....scrape the teak...if you don't have a scraper, sand the teak but don't sand past ~180 grit...Remember, you want to have the expoy penetrate and adhere to the wood sanding too fine will prevent this...plus under three coats of epoxy no one will be seeing the sanding scratches anyway. Rub/clean the wood with acetone to remove all the natural oil...this will take some effort. Also, don't sand the wood after cleaning with acetone or you'll just bring more natural oil to the surface. For the first coat, Dilute the West System epoxy with upto 15% acetone (don't worry about strength because this is not structural). You want the first coat to soak in. You can also warm stock by leaving it somehwere hot. After the first coat has time to soak in, rub off any excess epoxy with a clean rag and let it cure. Lightly sand, and apply 3 coats of epoxy at full strength,scrapping (if you want a perfectly flat finish) and sanding between coats. Dont' build the coats too fast or the epoxy will "run". It will take some practice to see how thick you can make the coats. You can follow the last coat of epoxy with tung oil or varnish (u/v protection). Or, you can lightly sand and rub out the final epoxy finish to a satin, semi, or high gloss and put some carnuba wax with U/V inhibitor (automotive store) on it to bring out the shine.

I posted a similar thread under "speargun pictures" pg. 5?

Good luck

Alison and Gator,
Thanks for both of the replies, I like to hear about different methods. I'm sure my gun will get beat to death around the rigs, all of my riffes look like they were scraped with a cheese grater. Since this gun is a custom Kitto gun that was $$$, I wanted a finish that would give it a little more protection. I'll kick it around a bit more but I think the epoxy is the way to go. Either way, I'll document the process and send pics when finished.
Thanks again!

havnt done any spearguns yet, but there is one finish that ive found very durable on wood, and thats superglue (looks very very very good too !) i learned this trick from some bladesmith or the other back when i was making knives (i'd like to give credit, but i cant remember who gave me that tip) its very strong too, i used it mostly on mahogany but also on my teak handled camp knife.

u get a bunch of those disposable latex gloves, and a lot of superglue (if u can buy it in bulk, do so) and u have to be pretty careful of making a mess with it. pour a bunch of superglue onto your hand (while wearing the glove !! dont make the mistake i did) and rub it over the wood, it will go on like oil at first, not really any sticking, and you really want to rub it over the wood before it starts to get sticky, if its sticky under your hand, get your hand away from the gun as soon as possible !! i had to sand bits of latex off of one of my mahogany knife handles once, a real nuisance.

this finish is expensive, your actually looking at doing about 3 coats, sanding it smooth (up to at least 400 grit) then doing about 4-5 coats on top of that, before giving it a final sand (i'd say 600 grit, but you probably would be tempted to do 1000-2000 grit), it brings out the natural look of the wood like nothing other in my experience.

Taking a new Kitto around the rigs is a sure test of one's ability to cry at the sight of newly exposed wood. One sure fire answer is an aluminum barreled JBL that has been beefed. :hmm

And as seriously, seal with the thinned West Systems epoxy, 50% with acetone and then tung oil. End of problem.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT