Sunday, September 20, 2020
  • Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 43,000+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 510,000+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,450+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

speargun in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

OP
OP
S

stick500

Nov 20, 2010
Minnesota
I don’t know about pneumatic spearguns, but shouldn’t there be a spear point sticking out the end if it’s loaded and ready to go? The film takes place in 1969 and it appears they got all the vintage gear down pretty well, but like I said I don’t know anything about guns that look like that. Could the shaft and the spearpoint be fully enclosed and hidden?
The suggestion in the movie is that he shot his wife moments after this scene.
Thanks in advance for any help. BTW, in my opinion it was the best film of 2019 and I’ve watched it several times. It helps if you have some memory of 1969.

TimHouTX

Aug 14, 2019
Houston, TX
I've yet to see the movie but really wanted to when it came out. Guess I'll check it out!

A quick search returned several useful threads in which PopgunPete contributed tons of useful info (as always) regarding Nemrod guns. May be worth reading but make sure you've got an hour or two to burn... :LOL: Easy to fall down that rabbit hole!

OP
OP
S

stick500

Nov 20, 2010
Minnesota
My primary question is simply is that if the gun is loaded and ready to shoot, wouldn’t you clearly see the shaft and the spearpoint sticking out the front. In other words it would be a flaw in the movie if the gun is clearly unloaded in this scene. I just don’t know much of anything about pneumatics. I will try and check out the info you posted above. Thanks!

Andrew the fish

Oct 17, 2010
Burnaby BC Canada
There appears to be some kind of a blunt tip on a loaded shaft? Or some kind of a shroud where the spear tip would be. The first cylindrical shiny thingey might be an actual muzzle, then there is shaft sticking out of it, and then another cylinder on its end. A protective cap? Or some kind of “safe unload” tip, something you put on to safely release the shaft? I haven’t seen this particular movie, maybe there is some context, like special tip? What is he hunting? I remember back in 80’s or even earlier, there were some experiments with tips delivering compressed gas to inflate dangerous fish (sharks etc), maybe this is what it is.

OP
OP
S

stick500

Nov 20, 2010
Minnesota
The context in the movie (and this really won’t spoil the film for you if you haven’t seen it) is that the Brad Pitt character has been diving off a boat all afternoon with this setup. And soon his wife will end up dead but it’s left up to the viewer exactly how that happens but it hints that it may something to do with the speargun, whether by accident or on purpose.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2020 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Spearfishing and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT