• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Speargun maintenance - check & adjust your spear floppers (a.k.a. barbs)!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
I lost a couple of good fish on a single dive last year using my 90cm gun due to flopper issues. In one fish, the flopper failed to open at all and the spear pulled right out. On the other, I speared a good fish fairly deep and almost on the sea bed, the spear partially opened but then closed as I surfaced when I momentarily released tension on the spearline :( When I checked the floppers on both of my spearguns later, both were loose and not locking open and the rear tail tip of both were almost completely flat, the 90cm gun being the worse on both counts. Checking and adjusting the barbs is quick and easy, lesson learnt.

I like Daniel Mann's videos and he covers this and more in this video:

And Rob Allen's videos are great, concise references:

And if you want to replace a flopper, or switch it from top mounted to bottom mounted (tempting) or vice-versa:yuck:

I bought 2 new Apnea spearguns recently. I really like them and their 6.6mm sharkfin spears look very good. However, the floppers are very loose and will need to be adjusted using a hammer (and possibly screwdriver and/or pliers) as shown in the above videos, otherwise I am sure fish would be lost.

BTW I never had to adjust the large heavy duty flopper on my Rob Allen spear. It came set up right and stayed that way. Hanging under the spear, it was also more inclined to open and stay open although it did cause lateral drag if not held close by a small rubber O-ring.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT