• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

speargun reel line

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

LutzSpearo

Aug 26, 2004
I recently bought a reel, but having never used one before I am debating what type of line to spool on it. My choices are:

1. Kevlar core line, either 1.5mm or 2mm
2. Dynema 2mm
3. Spectra (however I hear it tangles easily)

What are your recommendations? Thanks!

High tech line comes in several flavors. Basically, there is cored and uncored with various weaves. Uncored line is woven aramid (kevlar) or spectra (polyethylene) Dyneema is the Euro version of Spectra, a USA product.

Cored lines contain a central core of Aramid or poly. The outer core can be made of nylon or polyester. The best cored lines have a middle weave of spun fabric which prevents the inner core from shifting.

Except for the Picasso product called 'Memo', reel lines are simple woven lines, and often outrageously expensive. There is no reason for this, no reason to pay 85 bucks for 100 meters of dyneema. Kevlar is pricey also.

We divers need to start doing our own thing. Looking for sources of better and cheaper product.

I try various stuff and, when in doubt, read the manual. My custom Biller, which I call the 'Carribean', is based on the Biller Limited, an all teak gun. Originally, it came with a simple clip to hold the line. I removed the clip and modified the spear to hold the loops of shooting line, in effect creating an automatic line release for the gun. I welded a small shark fin forward of the notches and directly over the drilled hole to which the shooting line is attached. You can see it in the article of the same name, posted on DB. Anyway, after testing various lines I settled on 1.5mm kevlar for the shooting line. The reel line is different. When the spear is released, the slender kevlar bolts through the gap formed by the muzzle and bands without any problem whatsoever. The loops drop away and pay out smoothly.If a stiff line is used it forms loops and whips through the gap. If cable is used one can actually hear the metal line whipping and lashing as it goes through the muzzle. Nothing bad happens but the kevlar is just so nice for this particular gun. Always keep an eye out for fraying, though.

Last edited:
I have a Kevlar line in my omer 50 and 80 that I bought from Hanapaa Hawaii. The line is like 34 cents a foot. It's a little on the bigger size, the 50 holds about 100 ft, the 80, about 130 feet or so. I didn't want too thin a line because when fighting bigger fish, pulling on dyneema or spectra is very difficult. This line is tough to cut, even with a sharp knife, so I assume it's abrasion resistant. For safety sakes, I need to keep my knife sharp, just in case the line tangles on me. Dive safe.

thanks for the input. I decided on dynema. I need to learn more before I start experimenting with different lines, so I just chose what one of my buddies uses. Hell, I've never even used a reel before, I hope it works out okay, or else I've got an expensive piece of gear I don't like to use! Oh well, I'll at least expand my base of knowledge on the subject. Thats worth a few bucks I guess. I'll let ya all know how it works out. thanks again for the feedback, I appreciate it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT