• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Speargun rubbers getting shredded at muzzle!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

pyromallat

May 2, 2016
i have a salvimar voodoo and im using acid green salvimar bands... great bands , love the progressive launch... but the bands are degrading too fast on the muzzle ... i tried sanding the muzzle a little to get rid of anything that could scratch the bands but it didnt help... im very concerned that my bands will pop on me while im spearfishing
Help!
Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_0267.JPG
    IMG_0267.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 231
They are starting to go for sure, I wouldn't use them if I were you, they will fail at some stage and sods law it will be at the worst possible time, the forces in speargun rubber can be quite considerable. How do you store your gun and rubbers, think heat and light and are you absolutely sure that there is nothing rough on the muzzle were the sling goes through? Also is there any chance that the mono, if that's what your using is rubbing against the rubber under extreme tension, just a thought ;)

They are starting to go for sure, I wouldn't use them if I were you, they will fail at some stage and sods law it will be at the worst possible time, the forces in speargun rubber can be quite considerable. How do you store your gun and rubbers, think heat and light and are you absolutely sure that there is nothing rough on the muzzle were the sling goes through? Also is there any chance that the mono, if that's what your using is rubbing against the rubber under extreme tension, just a thought ;)
The bands i got straight from the spearfishing store i got 2 rubbers on my gun 1 14mm and 1 16mm and the 16 mm is going bad and i always wash them with fresh water... im thinking on switching back to a 18mm band with my 6.5 spear but how about if i get a 6.75mm spear what bands set up should i use?

That looks like age cracking, rubber under stress, such as being bent in a muzzle anchor that squashes down or curves the rubber, is attacked by ozone in the air, a form of oxygen. When you stress the rubber by doubling it over or stretching it out you can see the cracks in those places where the rubber has been under load. You also see it around the wishbone ties as bands get older. Often a new gun can have been sitting for a long time before you buy it and the bands have in a sense "gone off". Colored bands are more susceptible than black ones, but they all deteriorate even in storage, however under the right conditions the reactions can be slowed down that attack and degrade the rubber.

That looks like age cracking, rubber under stress, such as being bent in a muzzle anchor that squashes down or curves the rubber, is attacked by ozone in the air, a form of oxygen. When you stress the rubber by doubling it over or stretching it out you can see the cracks in those places where the rubber has been under load. You also see it around the wishbone ties as bands get older. Often a new gun can have been sitting for a long time before you buy it and the bands have in a sense "gone off". Colored bands are more susceptible than black ones, but they all deteriorate even in storage, however under the right conditions the reactions can be slowed down that attack and degrade the rubber.
As far as i know those bands were fresh when i got them... I tied them myself... i now have changed them toba single black 18 mm band and the problem came back with them so i sanded down the muzzle to get rid of sharp turns and edges and coated the muzzle with epoxy glue and seem to have solved the problem quite well.
Cheers and hope this info is helpfull to anyone running into the same problem.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT