• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Speargun Set-up UK

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Cornwall Spearfishing

Hi Everyone,

I really want to start spearfishing but not sure what type of gun to buy? I live in south Cornwall so I will be just spearfishing in the area. Can anybody please recommend any please.

Many Thanks

Sam

Hey Sam and welcome on DB

Please check this link Speargun and then you will have better idea about spear gun and if you have more questions your most welcome

All best

Actually I am under the impression you are not allowed to sell speared fish.

Lobsters have a minimum size across the carapace 87mm
Scallop have a minimum width (kings 100mm, Quesn 40mm)
Edible crabs 130mm

I have a plastic handheld jig that has all the measurments for theese critters. Very handy it is.
These sizes were taken from this website though, but they sound about right.
http://erycdata.eastriding.gov.uk/pls/portal30/docs/FOLDER/NESEAFISH/NESFDOCS/MINIMUM+SIZES.PDF

You cannot land V notched lobsters.
You cannot sell fish that you have caught on a powered unlicensed vessel.

Re: Cornwall Spearfishing

Hi Everyone,

I really want to start spearfishing but not sure what type of gun to buy? I live in south Cornwall so I will be just spearfishing in the area. Can anybody please recommend any please.

Many Thanks

Sam
Lucky you, south Cornwall is an excellent area for spearing.

I believe Dave at Spearo.co.uk is based in/near Bodmin. Anthony at Venture Sports Paignton is spearo-friendly. Both carry a range of different gear. Either should be able to help you. Conventional advice is 75cm-90cm (band guns) for UK waters. With the longer sizes being most appropriate for Cornwall, Pembroke & Channel Islands. So for you, a 90cm would be the normal recommendation.

I generally recommend a 75cm band-powered speargun for UK beginners
and it is what I use almost all the time now - even in Devon & Cornwall. When the water is really clear - as it can be in Cornwall - 90cm may not be enough, 110cm might be. I found that using a 90cm I missed a lot of close shots, as I just couldn't bring the gun to bare quickly enough. With the shorter gun, I get a lot more of the close shots - perhaps I miss more of the longer shots, or maybe not, the difference in range is quite small. Other considerations: there seem to be more opportunities close in than medium/long distance - also visibility is often poor.

If you like pneumatics (not my bag), the sizes are different. A 90cm pneumatic will likely be a similar length to a 75cm bandgun & possibly considerably more powerful (but lack of power is not generally a problem) & expensive.

You don't have to spend huge money. Popular companies: Omer (all good?), Cressi (esp. good value: Comanche), Beuchat. Other well regarded brands: Seatec, Seacsub, Rob Allen, Rabitech, Dessault.

For power, large diameter railguns like the Rob Allen, you could probably usefully go for a smaller size that normally recommended (e.g. 70cm where 75cm normally recommended).

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT