• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Speargun Suggestions for UK Waters

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

subseasniper

May 19, 2010
Hey all.

My venerable Seac Sub pnuematic speargun has finally given up the ghost and I am shopping around for a new gun for this years fishing. I do some light sea fishing for pollock and am thinking a 75cm gun. Looking for a band gun as I grew a bit fed up with the pnuematic.

Any recommendations / suggestions?

Also looking for a fairly simple set-up regarding lines, don't really want a reel, lookd like something that I would break.

Thanks.

A mako or a pathos 2-banded gun in 70-82 cm range should work great I'd expect.

Hey all.

My venerable Seac Sub pnuematic speargun has finally given up the ghost and I am shopping around for a new gun for this years fishing. I do some light sea fishing for pollock and am thinking a 75cm gun. Looking for a band gun as I grew a bit fed up with the pnuematic.

Any recommendations / suggestions?

Also looking for a fairly simple set-up regarding lines, don't really want a reel, lookd like something that I would break.

Thanks.

Sorry only just seen your post, I have a 75cm single banded gun and find it a Jack of all gun, but not perfect for anything really. Depending where you are fishing viz will be the biggest factor. Here in dorset viz can vary from zero to 15m or more, a common average is 3-4m, so a single wrapped 75cm is fine. In poor viz it doesn't seem over long, something I was concerned over a longer gun. A reel is not hugely necessary, but I could see the benefits when diving super deep from a boat. My recommended setup would be a standard 75-85cm single banded gun equipped with a single wrap of line, although in excellent viz a double or more would stretch your range a bit, and have the gun attached to your float line. Happy hunting.

Reactions: foxfish
There are many options. A few examples:

* Cressi Comanche (or similar model) 75cm. Cheap classic used by World Champion. Raked handle looks cool. Lots of plasticky clips - presumably to aid fast re-loads?

* Omer XXV (Gold or not) 75cm - spear is 5cm shorter than normal & gun is slim & light consequently has some characteristic of an even shorter gun. It's my main squeeze for Dorset & Devon. The 80cm size is also worthy of consideration. 90cm if you have mainly clearer waters.

* Omer Cayman - different models at different price points (e.g. aluminium tube barrel, carbon tube barrel, HF hydroformed aluminium barrel, camo, etc.) , constant force trigger.

* Rob Allen Sparid Railgun 70cm (don't worry, it will be powerful enough). Or similar railgun from Mako/Rabitech/Orcas/Feedivers/... Also consider 80cm.

* One of the medium to higher end models by Beuchat (the Rascasse is a classic but old fashioned now, they have better models, such as Marlin).

The above assumes fairly poor visibility (e.g. Dorset). If you generally have better visibility go longer (e.g. 80cm/90cm). For crystal clear waters (e.g. parts of Cornwall & the Channel Islands), you could consider longer sizes (e.g. 90-115cm). The key is to get the right size, not the biggest one.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT