• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

speargun tips

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cjndiver

Apr 2, 2002
Need some input on breakaway(detachable) spear tips. Im tired of fish bending spear shafts in rig legs. This weekend I bent 2 3/8" shafts chasing amberjack into rig stilts.

wong

daryl just put out a new batch of "low profile" slip tips. i think he's selling them for $85.

i'll be getting a few before this summer.

andrsn

yo chau!

What shafts are you using, are they threaded or Hawaiian style?

Regardless, go find threaded shafts, and take a stroll over to the Mares/JBL site and you'll see their tips. They're cheap and they have cable instead of line. Of course if you're shooting cobia and bigger jacks, then give Jay Riffe a call, www.speargun.com and go for his slip tip setup- pricey but a sheer vision in stainless. What you hit with these, you'll keep if you can keep the fish from winding you and your gear in the legs, not to mention the garbage hiding in the murk layer. You clowns have some balls down there.

sven

tips

Im using threaded shafts . As far as scary diving, I freaked out in a kelp bed last summer in N Cali. Dont like all that grass. hehe

Red Snapper season opened at midnight on Saturday. Went out this morning(Snapper Sunday) and stuck 2 nice ones. 15lbs and 18lbs. They were litterly swarming at 18 feet, just above the dreaded murk layer. Pics coming soon. Looks like grilled snapper.yeeee haaaaa

help for kelp

Ahh...snappah!

I guess it's like anyhting else with the diving in kelp- you get used to what you learn in. Some people can't handle the feeling of that stuff sliding alongside them, some can't get the idea of treating it like a movable canopy. But those that get the clues and let the stuff work for them, it's a religious thing. Ask any of the So Cal types here, like Lynn, it's very cool to go gliding in the corridors created by this stuff and when you're on the bottom looking up and the sun shafts through it, it's sex.

A lot better than having to carry dykes to cut yourself outta wire in the rig dumps.

sven

Re: help for kelp

A lot better than having to carry dykes to cut yourself outta wire in the rig dumps.

sounds like you did some diving down this way.

Any commercial gigs?

hyperbole

Hey Gang

I told Sven a million times, 'don't exxagerate'

>when you're on the bottom looking up and the sun shafts through it, it's sex<

Sven, I must have been 'doing it' rong for almost 50 years or the kelp is different in N Calif or something.

Aloha
Bill

rong? Moi?

As a tried, tired and true kelpophile, I have to tell you out there that haven't dove in the bull kelp here, Californicus macrocystis, that while it takes a certain, well OK, it takes a lot of forethought and practice, ( call it elan ) but when the sunlight shines through the vertical spires of the kelp, and the fish are just swimming around and there aren't any bubbles, boats or buddies to take away from the scene, it's religious and damn nice. Those recollections kept me going during some tough times.

That, and you can use it as down haul lines on the way to the hole it was anchored next to that also held that tasty morsel destined for your dinner table.

Yep cj, I dove down there a bunch of times, both sport and with the gear. Strange where you have to go so freakin far to find water over 100', and then the next thing you know, the bottom's double that.

sven

IMHO: slip tips are a pain to use. If you nail a big fish in a bony area w/out a pass through it takes forever to dig/cut the tip out. Bluewater hunting is one thing, but if you're on scuba you could waste a whole dive just trying to get the tip out. I know you're already doing this but you may want to let them get closer and only go for a kill shot or at least take some wind out of their sails. I know easier said than done.
Jay

stylin styron

Senor Styron speaks muy truth- slips are a bear, but when you've got a soft fleshed prey and /or you've pissed off a halibut or somthing bigger than a breadbox that will take offense to you sticking it, gamely shoving a sliptip is wirth it, when they work. Which is wholly dependant on the putz behind the trigger- you're not sure you can swing it, don't shoot it, regardless of whether you have a sliptip on or a conventional swinging barb(s) tip.

sven

Well said I.P.
Slip tips are more of a specialty use kind of thing. Just weigh the benefits. BTW: what are you doing w/ the AJ's.
Jay

Adolescent Julies?

Originally posted by Jay Styron
Well said I.P.
BTW: what are you doing w/ the AJ's.
Jay

A J's? The half dozen or so times I ever latched onto an Amberjack, in the Gulf, I had my 'ol JBL Magnum, 'roided up with my sooper dooper homemade bands, and a straight tip, no slip. Like you said, when I have a couple feet of air on my back, I'll go for the ease of a straight length of USA stainless.

How was the Gulf last week, get any in the Gardens?;)

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT