• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spearguns...let me know which one ya prefer

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

heebes

Dec 3, 2002
i have come to a dilemma. i am looking to purchase a speargun and have no idea which one to get. let me know which one you would choose for spearing. mind you that i am spearing in virginia and north carolina where the viz isn't great and the largest fish is going to be an amberjack. thanks for the help.

A. Rob Allen 100cm railgun with single 20mm band
B. Rob Allen 110cm railgun with single 20mm band
C. Riffe #2 Standard Series
D. Riffe #3 Standard Series
E. Omer Alluminum 116cm

thanks for the help.

-greg.

what is the visibility like? if its near zero or only around 5 ft then I would get a shorter gun. Other than that all of those guns are great. You should look at what your friends have and see what works for them. Or you can contact Mark from Omer. He is from the virginia area and frequently dives in virginia and north carolina.

If you mean the OMER gun with Alluminium handle and carbon barrel, I would say no 'cause you will have some corrosion problem , is it "electrolyse"??!!??

I don't know the others gus...sorry, I cannot find a lot 's of Riffe gun here in France....

I bet an RA will do great if you choose the size right...

Do not worry Cece!
This summer you will be able to try a Riffe standard #3 ;)

@+
Jeff

I just bought a 110 RA sniper which seems to go just fine! Swapped the 20mm rubber for 2 x 16 cause I havn't done the charles atlas body building course, and I have only used 1 of those because I have only been round feefs since I got it. BUT. evenso . Power & accuracy is good!

Hey Greg,
I'm down here in Wilmington so we're going after the same species. I've got 2 -110 Esclapez, 1- 90 Esclapez,1-70 Viper,1- 130 RA, a MT3 Riffe plus various other odds and ends guns. I'd say a 110 length gun would do in most situations offshore but up close on the jetties and near shore wrecks most of the time you won't be able to see half that length. Which goes back to the problem of one gun doing it all. If you're primarily going offshore I'd go w/ the 110 RA, if primarily shore dives a 60-70 gun of your choice. I like the Euro styles personally. Half the time I end up using my gun as a pole spear for flounder and normally for sheephead and taug.
Jay

I have omer alluminium and has no corrosion problem yet. As far as i know first generation had corrosion problems in second generation they used some plastic between handle-barrel and muzzle-barrel.

This gun is very nice, light, easy to track and powerfull enough for the size. It does not have 116 cm length. It has 75-90-100-110-120-130. Does not have experience with other guns.

Hi All,

You can't beat a Rob Allan gun. Designed in the third world for third world conditions!!! As an ex SA speraro I have used other guns and have found the triggers clogging up with sand and all sorts of other problems...not so with the RA gun. Reliable, accurate and lasts for ever

Justin

i use a 110 RA down here in the keys and it have proved to be the best gun i have ever shot. it is extremely accurate with lots of power and can pull off long shots with both penetrating power and accuracy

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT