• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearguns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BUTEL93

Jun 29, 2010
My name is Luke, Im a young new spearo and live in both Alderney and Guernsey for college and general living.

I am looking at buying a new speargun but am unsure on the length and type that best suits our waters.

Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Luke.

yeah depends on where your hunting... Reef, Near shore where your mainly at the surface, or open water... So really what that means is different size fish in different areas, for the most part... But you can get by with pole spear or small to med sized gun just about everywhere but large fish need different equipment if to ever want to see it again... Most important thing I think is proper equipment other than the gun/spear. i.e. fins, mask, and proper suit if you want to be comfortable... hope this helps

Because that area is deep water with lots of rock and weed you'll probs be best with a 75mm gun mate, as these are considered to be a "general" length gun. But as odjob 009 said a proper low volume mask and a decent set of fins plus suit are essentials. If you find you are making long shots then mayb upgrade to a 90mm gun.

This is what I use around Weymouth and Portland bud

Hope this helps
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok cheers scoobaru, instead of getting a 75 and finding out i need a 90, you rekon it would be an idea to go straight for a 90? Or just wait and see because I guess there is no harm in having two.

Luke.

Thing is the 90 is a big gun and is quite awkward to move in the water. It's quite good for open water where you can't get too close to fish so you have to make long shots. I would personally get a 75 then if you need extra power you can fit uprated rubbers or even add additional rubbers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Mr. X
Ok cheers for the info mate, think ive found a nice looking mares 75 cm gun which ill get later today, cheers.

Luke.

sorry to bump thread but as i hope to hunt scoobaro`s patch in sept so would like to pick his brains a little
1) gabbalino 77 good gun for area? i hope to fish rocks at seatown possibly the fleet and chessil/portland budget for gun is up too 200 ish as long as BANG/buck raito is good wiil have long fins lv mask ect so am after a top notch gun considered a snake but dont need a reel? thanks in advance with the threat of a pint in sept if we ever meet
cheers ps can you hunt in the fleet it looks awful fishy?

I couldn't tell you about the gun, really as I'm quite new to spearfishing with a gun. I use a Cressi Geronimo 90cm gun but I've got a few mates who are ery successful with 75/77cm guns. The fleet cam be very good there are quite a few flatties in there mostly flounder. Loads of bass up to about 5lb with the occasional 8lber being caught. Chesil can be very good (ive only fished there a couple of times however fished with rod and line there a lot and know of many decent fish being caught) there are loadsbof mullet in close a lot of bass, A few rays and flatties available aswell as triggerfish gurnards. Seatown often produces a few plaice, rays (particularly blonde rays) and sole all decent sizes. Portland can be very good for bass, bream mullet and cod. Just be careful of the currents especially around chesil and pulpit rocknon Portland.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you want good reliable information about whats being caught around Weymouth and Portland phone O three on 01305 822820 most of the people in there are experienced spearfishermen and will point you in the right direction for successful spearfishing session, with advice about local hot spots and times to fish these locations.
Posted via Mobile Device

Get a 90.
I live in Jersey and though right now a 50 is about right in the low vis, a 90 is the go-to gun for me and most guys I dive with.
Water clarity this year has been generally insane. Well over 10 meters for months.
However, the japweed fields are no place for long guns but the outer edges are.

I've been choosing to sit 2 wraps out from places where I know fish are moving just as the tide makes and hiding. The weed is really dense with not too many clean channels this season and some area's are clogged so if Guernsey is the same, watch diving under the canopies as it is THICK !.

In the weed, a short cave gun or pneumatic will be in order.

In general though, a 90 everytime.

I shoot Riffe Euro 75 and 90's Omer Cayman 75 and shorter Omer and Immersion cave style 50 and 60cm euro guns but unless in dense weed or over bubbleweed in dirty water, a 90 is about right.

Hope this helps.

A bit late perhaps. 75cm is a good length for a beginner on the UK mainland - easier to move & load and more versatile in the often murky conditions we experience.

However, in the Channel Island & parts of Cornwall, where visibility is usually much better, 90cm is often preferred. Although, I found 90 too long some days and too short other days while diving off the Lizard, Cornwall :D. I almost always use a 75cm gun these days. I think OMD (RIP) almost always used 90cm guns off Guernsey. But I think Portinfer made himself an 80cm wooden gun (v. nice) as his main squeeze for Guernsey.

If you spear in/around the UK, I suspect you will end up wanting/owning both a 75cm gun and a 90cm gun eventually (or perhaps an 80/82cm gun). Although for those rare very clear days, I sometimes wonder if 90cm isn't enough and perhaps something really long (110cm+) might be the way to go?

As my older brother, a keen shooter, pointed out - no matter what size gun you get you can bet it will be the wrong one for the shots you encounter ("Sod's law").

Interesting Avatar ChrisTheMedic. I recently saw somebody taking a similar sort of picture of a lorry that went under a low bridge in heavy traffic but didn't quite make it - owch.

Wot u need 2 look at is visebilety and the strenght it wuld take 2 load uk waters good viz get a 85 90 cm i use a beuchat 95 for most my fishing so think hard by 1 that suts u and wer u spearfishing

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT