• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearing at the Canyon

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Abriapnea

Jan 16, 2002
I have two mates who regularly spear with me summer and winter , good weather or bad . Some days we return with nearly filled quotas , sometimes we have nothing to show for our efforts .
Then there are a dozen other guys with guns who only spear when they see us with good catches . These we call "doppies " or corks 'cause they mainly bob around on the surface and cause mayhem and grief to all around them .
After two very productive afternoons we were swamped with requests to join us the next day ; my mates opted out and I only agreed to go after some serious persuasion . The place we had been getting all our fish ; the canyon ; is hard to locate and I was the only one with accurate markings .
It starts at around 40m. and rises to 30m. With the prevailing north current there is always some pockets of baitfish around with accompanying pelagics . Have seen marlin , sailfish , tuna , wahoo ,ignobilis , jobfish ,dorado ,... hell , everything comes past here .
It is also by far the sharkiest reef around with tigers , makos and the occasional oceanic whitetip joining in the fun with the resident bulls , hammers ect.

On this day we had to launch two boats with five spearo's each . After bouncing some 8 km. in fairly choppy seas we eventually arrived at the canyon and everyone started trailing out their floatlines while I moved us upcurrent from the dropoff . It looked like a couple of serious entries to a knitting contest behind the boats , and I again doubted the wisdom of my joining this mad expedition , especially when one of "my " doppies suddenly realized he had forgotten to bring a float and line ...
Now I am a great believer in being first in the water , and was not impressed to see everyone else jumping in while helping the wretch attach my spare kit .
As I was about to enter the water there was a huge commotion from the spearo's , all bobbing around shouting at each other . At first I thought they must have caught sight of one of the resident tigers , which would have been nice since this is usually enough to send them scampering back on board . ( I am not a very nice person when I'm spearing )
As it turned out a black marlin had just swam through the group ; not one of them had even tried for it !:head

While everyone was still discussing this sight I hastily yanked all my guys out of the water and flew back upcurrent . We had drifted the better part of a K. by the time the fish was seen , and I wanted to get to the top of the reef before it .
Since I was skippering , I was again forced to be last in the water and the rest of my group were some 20 m. downcurrent of me as I entered . I had barely loaded my gun and my flashers were still on the surface when I heard what sounded like an underwater battle being fought .
I immediately dove down to around 15m. , pulled myself into a little ball and waited , facing downcurrent . Out of the blue a black shape appeared , heading straight for me at a leisurely pace . As the fish reached me it turned side - on for a good look and I drilled it through the shoulder above and behind the peck , trying for an exit through the opposing gillplate .
This shot is very secure , seriously inconveniences it's breathing and does a lot of damage too . As it turned out , I only managed to nick the gillplate though
Oh , BTW. , three of the doppies fired at the fish , none hit their mark ...:duh

My topman on the boat knew the drill and followed me as I was pulled away , leaving the other four bobbing alone eagerly scanning the ocean for the other boat , yelling to be picked up .
Because of the poor shot it took me 45 mins. to subdue the fish and got dragged all over the place .

Attachments

• marlin1  copy.jpg
    marlin1 copy.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 345
Reactions: ivan
This shot is very secure , seriously inconveniences it's breathing and does a lot of damage too . As it turned out , I only managed to nick the gillplate though

That is why I been telling you Bro, a Railgun is a Railgun and a Riffe is a Riffe...Wha ha ha:D :D

These we call "doppies " or corks 'cause they mainly bob around on the surface and cause mayhem and grief to all around them

Are you trying to describe me : IyaDiver in a very subtle fashion ???:D :D

Nice fish Man. Let me go to a machine shop to custom make some "unshrinkable-balls" to prepare for that resident Tiger:confused:

Thanks Iya . As for the nicked gillplate ; what I meant was the spear exited just behind the plate , but it went straight through Two 16mm. bands is all you need ...;)

Hi

Dude nice fish!!! If I ever see something like that in the water I would firstly SH!t myself because I would think it is a shark then when I figure out what it is I'll be to Nervous to place the shot correctley.

Way to Go

:martial

Incredible fish. i cant wait for the day i shoot a fish that is bigger than me.
Glad that you got the decent shot in. its terrible if a fish like that gets a bad shot and it tears out, only to die later.
what does marlin taste like? i've only ever had it smoked.

Mark

Last edited:
Thanks Griff ;SAFS ,
Marlin and sailies have solid meat and thick skin . If your spear goes through , you are not likely to lose it . They also remain close to the surface until they tire , when they have a habit of sounding . Bringing it back up is hell on weels . That's why I favour the gill shot - it suffocates and loses a lot of blood .
Have had a few more opportunities to puncture marlin , but would have been body shots , I know this sounds strange coming from me but don't want these magnificent beasts to suffer unduly ...:eek:
Stopped spearing sailies after I landed my sixth .
Oh BTW , I don't like the meat , always give the fish away to the locals . Should see them smiling when I come back with a bill .:D

Originally posted by Griff
its terrible if a fish like that gets a bad shot and it tears out, only to die later.

As long as you dont hit the vital organs a speared fish that comes off has a very good chance of survival .
Have seen mackerel pull off the spear only to return minutes later actively pursuing baitfish .
BTW , it was a mate who lost it , I got it ...:D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT