• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearing comp. preparation

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

azapa

51% freediver 49% spearo
Jan 31, 2007
OK, so I watch the Spanish captain from the recent Worlds in Venezuela explaining the daily prep, and he's talk about them eating these huge breakfasts because they are out in the water 'till mid afternoon.

This is completely different to freediving comp. preparation (that I do now for spearing comps)

I have a comp. on sunday, so any tips most welcome.

Typical day:
- meet on jetty at 10AM, boats leave at 11AM, 30 mins to dive site, 4 hours comp. back to jetty for weigh in. Often this is 4pm.
- water is cold at 12 deg C, and we are diving past 15M to get any decent fish.

What kinda breakfast would you be taking? Would you be taking anything on the boat? Would you try to dive a little the day before? Any other tips.

THANKS

Reactions: Jonny250
I would not dive the day before (to preserve core temperature), but I'd be diving a few times per week before that for sure so that 20 metre dives would be comfortable.
I'd eat lots of fatty foods the week before and lots of pasta/rice etc too.
I'd have power bars and water and sport drinks on my float too.
Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: azapa
I go over ALLLL my gear with a fine tooth cove. Tell it i love it and If i was aloud id take it to bed for a pre match cuddle!

Ok im not that bad......may.....be...

Don't each too much protein and fat of the morning of the comp - there's more chance you'll get a bit of acid/reflux with fatty foods (fine for the week leading up to it though). Also, protein and fat takes a lot longer to digest so you'll have that full sickly feeling for longer if you eat a fatty brekky.

That said, a couple of eggs and a little bit of bacon has always got me through a cold session in the quarry. Mind you we were eating it about 3 hours before diving and only staying in the water for about an hour. The fattier food seems to protect you a bit better from the cold.

In the few days leading up to it eat plenty of carbohydrates like Erik said - pasta, rice etc. Not cream based if your sinuses clog up with dairy.

But for a long day's diving i'd eat plenty of grain bread with honey/jam and maybe some scrambled eggs with a little bit of bacon. If you eat around 8-9am you'll be fine through to 4pm because you rarely think about food when diving, especially in a comp too. Lower GI foods are better because they release the energy over a longer period, so grain bread instead of white, apple juice instead of orange etc. Bananas are great too - lots of slow release energy (only don't take them on the boat because the superstitious captain will be sure to throw you off!)

And Erik is bang on the money with the fluids - sport drinks if you have them, otherwise apple juice and plenty of water. I used to drink a hell of a lot of water before a spearing comp because I never took any with me on the dive. It would make me uncomfortable but water goes out of your system pretty quickly so it wouldn't be for very long.

Sodium/Potassium retention is a big issue too from sweat and immersion diuresis. Sport drinks are great for this. If you don't have the sport drinks then Bananas also have lots of potassium, and have a bit of extra salt on your eggs in the morning.

And don't forget to top up when you jump out of the water, sometimes it can be ages until you get home or get to a shop so take some bars or something with you.

If you're a coffee fiend then a cup in the morning will be fine. As a student I was told by a wise man that when sitting an exam you should be on the same drugs as you were on when you studied for the exam so your body didn't feel radically different. Same principle with training - if you're used to something (like coffee) then your body will expect it so don't deny yourself. There will be absolute minimal effect for something like a spearing comp.

Hope that all helps! Can't help you with the comp itself, i'm a crap spearo and never actually weighed in any fish when I attended comps :D

Cheers,
Ben

Reactions: azapa
thanks for all the great help guys. I managed 2nd place in my category, loosing only to a local pro. (makes a living from spearing) half my age, so I kinda feel ok.

the ocean was a disaster, 1 to 2m high swells with correspondingly strong currents. I was sucked into a cave twice, and covered in kelp on every second dive.

I didn't dive the day before, and had a relaxing evening, I also ate well the week before (thanks eric for a tip one can actualy enjoy :friday)

My dive times were terrible: 1:06 longest. On a nice day, non-comp and no killer swells 1:30 to 1:40 is comfortable and safe. Depths were to 20m, although I can only say I really hunted at a max of 17M)

I had just switched to a "J"tube from the buechat active air (with a curve on the top) and I was chugging salt water down during all my breathe ups.

I took an energy drink on my float, but king neptune and his swell made off with it before I had a chance. Missed some nice fish, god knows how, about arms length away, I already had them at the weigh in in my head, but completly missed em' in reality. Nerves.

To sum up the most important things in this order:
- well rested becuase I drove up (2hrs) the night before, had a light dinner
- well hydrated, breakfast was only 2 bananas and most of a power bar
- postivie mental attitude1: I kidded myself it was fun
- positive mental attitude 2: always think/remember that if you are finding it tough going and seeing very few fish, everyone else is too!

Half the guys chundered in the water. So in retrospect, I did well.

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti
Congratulations Azapa!!! Well done and fun...I think enjoying the competition is a very nice catch to come home with.

Congrats mate!
Although late I'll add in my 2 bits,
The day prior to the dive I have a huge pasta meal, generally my food intake day-day is 60% protein, so the high carb does me wonders, I take my usually vit/min, but add a electolyte supplement with a couple of cans of tonic water (rancid stuff). The day of the dive I'll have my usually cafecito in the morning, a banana or two and maybe some other fruit...during the day I try to stay hydrated and will probably consume 1-2 granola type (not protein) bars, as that sits to long in the tank:blackeye

Reactions: spaghetti
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT