• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearing for Flatfish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

tribs

Tribs
May 8, 2007
Spoke to Foxfish about locating flatfish and am going to make a start. If anyone can add some facts, figures or techniques to repetoire,please help out.

Tribs.:t

Attachments

• Halibut.jpg
    Halibut.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
My goodness thats not a flat fish!!!
thats a monster halibut, i got a much smaller flatty than that last sunday over totland pier was quiet easy to see <the only flatty ive ever seen, maybe ive been trying to hard> you could see the outline of his body against the sand and the fin on the left side was not covered, could just make out its orange spots amongst the sand and the rest is a blur as its kicked up with my spear in its back,

Tribs I’ve found flatfish spearing to be a game of attrition with lots of short dives and a quick recovery time on the surface. (Not too quick mind remember your safety).
A typical course of flaty dives for me would be, 30-40 seconds down with a 1min recovery repeated 3 times and on the 4th dive of 30 seconds a recovery time of 4mins.
The more your down the more lightly you are to spot the little buggers, just remember your recovery time.
Good luck with the winter flatfish.:)

I have no idea how to fish for flaties but here are some that appeared on my spear..

Attachments

• Plaice on fin for db.jpg
    Plaice on fin for db.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 163
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 178
  • P1010176.JPG
    P1010176.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 184
I have no idea how to fish for flaties but here are some that appeared on my spear..

NNNUUUUURRRRR, :)
No one likes a smart arse, you should have seen the size of my last flounder it was at even odds to you was going to slay you.roflrofl

i started a new thread with this but here it is again, for people who missed it,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uQSS8UEI1E]YouTube - Halibut Video[/ame]

i started a new thread with this but here it is again, for people who missed it,

YouTube - Halibut Video

That was terrific. Why won't they hold still like that for me?

When I lived in North Carolina from 1971 to 1975, I really got it spearing the local flounder. Most of it was along the edge of a rock breakwater where there was usually a fair amount of wave action and poor vis, and they would often be completely dug in. I would cruise the bottom staring at every likely patch of sand, and often all I could see was the movement of an eye. Many times I couldn't even tell which direction the fish extended from the eye.

I got quite a few over 10 pounds, with the largest being 18 pounds.

Attachments

• ncflounder.jpg
    ncflounder.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 185
Reactions: Mr. X
Once you have found a likely spot just find your natural rythum of diving down and searching.Look for areas that have worm casts,mussells and and small crabs and the flatties won't be far away.

Always check the area after you have spotted one flattie as they often travel in groups.

Attachments

• 100_3938.jpg
    100_3938.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Flattie 2.jpg
    Flattie 2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 200
  • Sandsfoot 054.jpg
    Sandsfoot 054.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 189
nice pictures, i have often seen flounders very close to each othe sometimes within meters.
i saw two really nice ones next to each other once like 2 meters apart and i took one and thought that the other was just going to swim off but it stayed, so managed to get them both in the end, :t

Hi all

Thanks for the info guys. Think i'm in the correct area but not looking hard enough. Judging from the photo's those fish are hard to spot when your right over them let alone perusing from the heady heights of the surface. Has anyone tried staying on the surface but dragging a weight through a receptive area and watching for movement to save on the number of dives commited? Or am i just lazy?
Thanks again and anymore thoughts will always be appreciated. Will try to get in later as the southerly has backed off and come round northerly with a touch of east.

Tribs

Out.

Reactions: Almostafish
Of course you can spot bottom dwelling fish from the surface if - the water is clear or shallow enough to see the bottom! However you will see far more if you swim a few feet above the sand (gravel), repetitive short dives are not necessary but this is an effective method. If you swim along near the bottom for longer & rest longer in between dives this will work as well.
I like hunting flatfish because of the very nature of the hunt will get you fit & help your general ability as a spearo.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT