• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spearing from a seadoo?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Get a Honda:blackeye

anyway, there are quite a few guys here in Hawaii that use Skiis for fishing/diving. They are great because you can get to places pretty quick, shallow draft, and they are multi-purpose. Most skiis here are outfitted with sleds. From what I hear sleds are not cheap but worth the cost. With a sled you have a place to strap your gear, fishbag, cooler, or what ever else you will be bringing along. I have also heard from a few spearos on this forum that mounting a sled can void any warranty from the manufacturer.

For that much why dont you just get a good used boat? Something you could actually store things on. Waverunners are fun and all but don't seem very practical for diving. My brother has and 2008 supercharged model and I imagine it would be a major pain trying to put all that gear on it.

Hiya

In South Africa, these things are becoming very popular for fishing. They even have regular events where jetski's compete against kayak/fishing-ski's competatively.

It has HUGE under seat storage and will easily carry your gear. Gun's can be attached to the craft in numerous ways. It will not carry huge amounts of fish, but you can accesorise it with fish bags, that'll store your fish, should you have a smaller model.

The advantage of a jetski over a boat is quite simple:
takes one person to launch
can be launched ANYWHERE!!
offers better shallow water capabilities
etc, etc

Here's a link on jet-ski fishing in South Africa:
Yamaha South Africa

They are becoming quite popular in Southern California. One guy who owns a 44 foot boat just bought one. He likes the difference in gas mileage, and he likes the fact that he can get out to Catalina at 50 knots on a reasonably calm day.

Yeah I want to get out somewhere quick and I won't be carrying that much gear as there will be no tanks n stuff.

Yep quick and cheap...PWC are on the rise in Japan sales have more than quad, it seems to be a trend thats catching on fast.

Wondering why? $4.00/gal...I got a yami a few months ago and am very happy with the results.

I've learned (and am still learning) that you do things differently spearin' off a ski, but after a few runs you get it pat, and you wonder why more spearo's aren'yt using them.

Heres a couple of tips: Unless your not a marine mechanic speacilizing in PWC don't buy one used, repairs on a ski are $$$, Try to get it new and add the extended warranty (yami's are the only that go to 5 years...take note), flush it after each use and spray the engine, then oil it up, do the scheduled maint. and the craft should last for many spearin' trips.

get a ski you won't be disappointed!

Most skiis here are outfitted with sleds. From what I hear sleds are not cheap but worth the cost. With a sled you have a place to strap your gear, fishbag, cooler, or what ever else you will be bringing along. I have also heard from a few spearos on this forum that mounting a sled can void any warranty from the manufacturer.
true both counts blaiz...I've been tinkering around with a sled that hopefully will do without drilling the hull will keep ya posted!

Attachments

• settingsteel.jpg
    settingsteel.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 188
I have to agree that using a wave runner for fishing/spearing makes perfect sense, I'll concede that the 750cc models seem small and unstable, however, the 'three seater' is a real boat. Adding to the said advantages, even without the sled,there is a big handle at the stern that makes it pretty easy to hoist yourself up. And what I consider is the best feature, it's a jet drive. The impellers are not exposed to the reef, or FLESH :crutch

I want to take one for a test drive soon, shame we are going into winter here in NZ.

I wish they allowed Jet SKI's on the backside of my island(Saipan) though it isnt exactly environmentally friendly as far as emissions goes, they are only allowed by permit in the shallow lagoon according to our Coastal Resource Management Office! :( otherwise I would have tried this, maby you could get away with it in ROTA or if you brought one to the Northern Islands on Expedition! but I cant help thinking that with all things Technology, if it fails, you are sooo seriously extending your capability to swim back to civilization with you gear and your fish in tow, but it seems like a great way to go places you wouldnt normally get to without a boat.

Does anyone try to Troll from a JetSKI 2up? now thats a challenge! the fish could be bigger than the SKI!? LOL!!

I wish they allowed Jet SKI's on the backside of my island(Saipan) though it isnt exactly environmentally friendly as far as emissions goes, they are only allowed by permit in the shallow lagoon according to our Coastal Resource Management Office! :( otherwise I would have tried this, maby you could get away with it in ROTA or if you brought one to the Northern Islands on Expedition! but I cant help thinking that with all things Technology, if it fails, you are sooo seriously extending your capability to swim back to civilization with you gear and your fish in tow, but it seems like a great way to go places you wouldnt normally get to without a boat.

Does anyone try to Troll from a JetSKI 2up? now thats a challenge! the fish could be bigger than the SKI!? LOL!!

Alota guys troll with their skis in Hawaii, land some pretty big fish too. I saw a pic of a guy in our local fishing news towing a 500+pound Marlin in to port in Kona. Looked pretty funny.

Im not an expert by any means but I have heard that the new 4-stroke engines are pretty clean. I cant imagine that any of the 2-stroke outboards are any better?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT