• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spearing in a monofin?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jtkwest

recreational user
Dec 2, 2007
is this possible? to spearfish in one of those, when i saw the guy on tv, the undulating swimming motion, seemed like it wouldnt work, but who knows? but the speed should allow access to deeper spots, no? that monofin with the levered blades made of carbon fiber are amazing.

I've tried it, but it didn't work so well for my local conditions- shallowish with lots of weeds and low vis.

If you were doing some deep aspetto in clear water it might work out for you. Another issue is not being able to scull to maintain position in the water column. I think it would be fine for dropping down and lying in the sand.

Jon

is this possible? to spearfish in one of those, when i saw the guy on tv, the undulating swimming motion, seemed like it wouldnt work, but who knows? but the speed should allow access to deeper spots, no? that monofin with the levered blades made of carbon fiber are amazing.

Yes of course it's possible but its extremly inconvenient. First of all, for aspettos; you will have a tough time leveling yourself up (unless you planning to swim parallel to the bottom like a flatfish :p).

2nd: it will be hard for you to keep equilibrium in midwater (since you would usually use either legs (in bifins) to adjust yourself accordingly but with the monofin you lose this ability).

So I guess monofins are rather more useful only if you are planning to go in a straight tragectory direction (e.g: straight to the bottom) or just straight horizontal swim, or in a way 2D: forward-backward or up-down... but if u are mixing in btw, or will start moving in 3D way (which is the natural way for spearfishing but not free-diving, then that will be very inconvenient and the disadvantage of monofin will outweigh the advantage of the monofins as being faster than bifins (and by the way, they are only slightly faster but not that extreme).

At the end its up to to u to use bifins or monofins :)

Hope that was useful

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
I'm a bit surprised Mullins hasn't chipped in. He enjoys doing so on occasion, as do a couple of others that I know of. I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to at some stage.

Not everybody's cup of tea, but it seems to have its place.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT