• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spearing in Dominican republik ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

glassfish

Feb 20, 2005
Hi ,
I´ve been spearfishing mainly in SE Asia (Thailand,Indonesia).
Now I am thinking about the Domenikan Republik.Is it worth going there if you want some good spearfishing,snorkeling there ?
How much is the cost of living (not high class) for one month ?

Thanks
Axel

Same question here. I will be going to Punta Cana in the DR in January. Heres what I have read: most of the reefs are pretty fished out. You can definitely get a ton of lion fish, which people are encouraged to catch since they are invasive. They are supposed to taste really good, but have poisonous spines. Barracuda can also be found. The currency transfer is in favor of the US dollar, im not sure about other currencies. But you dont need a license to spear, and thats good. I will be hiring a catamaran to take me out to the less accessible reefs.

Dominican Republic still have great spot to spearfishing and freediving, i am French and living here since 4 years, and i found a lot of nice spot around the island,
best way to find spot to dive is google earth and talk with local fisherman,
i confirm you lionfish are excellent fish to eat and easy to catch, you also can find a lot of snappers, mackerel, jack, lobster and so on have a look of what you can catch here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvY_NvYoUHlZTd8VM_tgbyQ/videos,
there are also a lot of place you can go spearfishing in blue water, there are plenty of Fads here,
contact me if you want some help when you arrive,

Clement: was that you that shot the how deep were you diving 90# barracuda? How deep was it? Really cool videos

Dominican Republic still have great spot to spearfishing and freediving, i am French and living here since 4 years, and i found a lot of nice spot around the island,
best way to find spot to dive is google earth and talk with local fisherman,
i confirm you lionfish are excellent fish to eat and easy to catch, you also can find a lot of snappers, mackerel, jack, lobster and so on have a look of what you can catch here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvY_NvYoUHlZTd8VM_tgbyQ/videos,
there are also a lot of place you can go spearfishing in blue water, there are plenty of Fads here,
contact me if you want some help when you arrive,

Hey Clement- I also live in the DR and love to spearfish. Would love to go with you sometime. Especially to a FAD. Let me know if you're interested....

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT