• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearing Regulations Europe

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

QUETZAL

Allen Hendrick
Nov 5, 2004
Specifically Spain, Portugal, Azores, Canaries, Greece. Is spearing w/ Scuba permitted? Also please comment on spearing w/ Scuba in Europe in general. I am not intentionally opening up a debate; I am honestly looking for knowledgeable answers to these questions.
Also I know its Africa but Morocco & and Egypt also.

Last edited:
In Greece it is illegal to spearfish using ANY breathing device.
Generally, European spearfishermen/women, are freediving and spearfishing w/scuba is frawned upon.
However I think that spearing w/scuba in the Med is also counterproductive because the fish are extremely suspicious and they will all be scared away by the bubbles of your breathing device.

I hope I helped.
Safe diving!

Spearfishing on SCUBA is illegal in all the European countries mentioned. I dont know about Morocco, but all spearfishing is banned in the Egyptian Red Sea. In the UK it is not actually illegal, but is frowned upon (and also of no real benefit as bass really dont like bubbles!)
cheers
dave
www.spearo.co.uk

Ireland is much the same as the UK as regards Scuba spearing not illegal but probably not very productive either unless you like eating lots of Wrasse :yack

Scuba spearing is illegal here too. I am agreed, fish in here also don't like to see bubles but i am pretty sure if diver has unlimited bottom time he will able to get as many groupers as he like.

Murat said:
Scuba spearing is illegal here too. I am agreed, fish in here also don't like to see bubles but i am pretty sure if diver has unlimited bottom time he will able to get as many groupers as he like.
Same here, but it's not enforced :(. I think there are more scuba than non-scuba spearo's here.
Though I think more and more poeple are switching into freediving now. :)

StretchArmStron said:
Allen

Whats the viz in Jocassee and Keowee right now?
Jocassee I don't know right now last time I was there was 3 months ago and it was 20-25' it's usually at least 20' many times 30' and ocasionally 40' that's my limited experience, 30 dives or so.
Keowee was 10-12 feet last weekend. On a good day I think it is 20'. I don't know if you know this but Keowee is the result of the outflow from Jocassee, so its never better than Jocassee.
I would like to try diving at the bottom of the Jocasse dam into Keowee, I've heard that the Viz is better there and that the spearing is good also. But thats a 15-20 min boat ride and when I've been only 3 times, the boat had students on board and I didn't ask if we could go to the dam. But maybe Brian will take us there after finishing up with Students one day. Or do y'all have a boat?

Last edited:
rigdvr said:
planning a trip?
Yeah I love Spain and thought it might be worth going to Morocco too.
So who would like to get a trip up to Morocco? I own a small Travel Agency so I could hook us up w/ some good deals for flights, at least I hope I can. It all depends on the time of year. Anyone dove Morocco?

Last edited:
DeepThought said:
Same here, but it's not enforced :(. I think there are more scuba than non-scuba spearo's here.
Though I think more and more poeple are switching into freediving now. :)
How's the spearing there, I loved Isreal when I went also. But didn't dive then 1995. Please give me some info about Isreal Diving like charter rates, and shore diving opurtunities, and what does a days catch usually look like? Pics?
Thanks
Allen

Spearfishing is not allowed in the israeli red-sea unless you are a local (Eilat resident), so that leaves the Israeli med-sea. Which, as far as I know is worse than any other part of the med-sea, so no real reason to come spearfishing here.
But I never really got to spearfish here (never saw anything worth spearing), so I'm not the right person to ask, try 'mundial'.
I have no clue about charters and such, never took one in my own country. :)
Diving in the red-sea is good though.

DeepThought said:
Spearfishing is not allowed in the israeli red-sea unless you are a local (Eilat resident), so that leaves the Israeli med-sea. Which, as far as I know is worse than any other part of the med-sea, so no real reason to come spearfishing here.
But I never really got to spearfish here (never saw anything worth spearing), so I'm not the right person to ask, try 'mundial'.
I have no clue about charters and such, never took one in my own country. :)
Diving in the red-sea is good though.
HAVE YOU SCUBA'D IN THE MED OR FREEDOVE?

In Spain it's illegal. In fact if the police find a combination of tanks and spearguns on your boat during an inspection you are liable to be very heavily fined as well as having all your gear confiscated.

Adrian

DeepThought said:
Anything worth seeing in the Isreal Med, even if it can't be shot? Marine life Wrecks etc? And is there a lot of restrictions? Or are most areas open?

Last edited:
Quetzal can you get us a deal on Costa Rica next year? wanna get a group together and shoot some tuna (or try to anyway?)

StretchArmStron said:
Quetzal can you get us a deal on Costa Rica next year? wanna get a group together and shoot some tuna (or try to anyway?)
When and how many? Anytime you want prices call my employee Maria Flores @ 864-246-1117 or 246-4813 if busy talk to Maria or Cristina. They will take your info and call you back w/ prices. Latino America is our Specialty.

I've got a Tico friend whose relative is a Biologist in CR. I think he would be helpful, as I know he dives also.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT