• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spearing under UK's piers

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

martin_strak

Jun 16, 2019
Hi
I could not find any info regarding spearfishing under piers in UK, I live in Portsmouth and I've been told in a local tackle shop that it is strictly prohibited. Is that true?

I emailed twice fishing organization at the South Parade Pier in Portsmouth but they have not replied, just ignored my messages.

I would appreciate more clarity on that subject

Hope you get a reply from them. I don't spearfish under piers but one thing that came into my mind straight away when i saw this post was the possibilities of the piers being used by boats and anglers which could cause danger problems for you personally as propellers and fishing line wether it be on a rod or have broken free from a rod are all not good for a spearo to be around. The structure of the pier itself is perfect for any stray rope or fishing line etc to get tangled around. I regularly go around a second world war pier in my boat the steel structure is still there but the wooden platform has long gone and the reason i go around it rather than between the old steel beams which would be quicker is that there is a high chance some rope is wrapped around one or between two and it would fowl the propeller on the boat.

Reactions: SubSub
just an update

I have still not received any message from the guys who control fishing activity at South Parade Pier in Portsmouth.

I managed to get some useful info from British Spearfishing Association though,
Spearfishing under piers in UK is not illegal however I have been advised to avoid the pier in Portsmouth due to aggrsive fishermen and the presence of security which will likely try to question your diving activity :D

There are many misconceptions around spearfishing, I think still plenty can be done in educating people and behaving in a sensible way to prove it is actually very enviroment friendly way to fish

Although this should help in general, I feel it will always be a touchy subject for rod fishermen who feel entilted to certain locations.

I don't spearfish under piers but one thing that came into my mind straight away when i saw this post was the possibilities of the piers being used by boats and anglers which could cause danger problems for you personally as propellers and fishing line wether it be on a rod or have broken free from a rod are all not good for a spearo to be around.

I understand your concerns, the piers I am talking about are not being used by boats anymore, anglers are not the problem at the very end of the pier where actually you can see plenty of fish. I have dived there few times, I never had an issue, I had no speargun with me though.

Anyway
safe diving

Reactions: Mr. X
I watched a video somebody successfully spearing flatties under a well known pier in SE England. However, I would caution against it purely from common sense, personal experience and a sense of shared personal responsibility for the Spearfishing community and wider community.

People, not least anglers (danglers?), frequently drop or cast things off piers. Seafishing weights tend to be large slugs of lead much bigger than a bullet. Some piers charge anglers to be there. Many/most spearos are also anglers or started as anglers, so be friendly, supportive and polite don't spoil their sport.

Piers often have hazardous infrastructure underneath. Don't knock yourself out or get caught and trapped; don't have gear dangling all over yourself.

Swanage pier is frequented by anglers and trainee SCUBA divers. Sometimes their are dozens of them scrambling around the infrastructure underwater. If you ever encounter other divers, unload and/or move away. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Brochman
Re. Portsmouth :), I once dived near there, not the pier, and locals did check to see what I was up to. They were ok once I spoke to them but are liable to report any suspicious activity.

The coast gaurd are the ones to inform you of the law (in my experience its a no to fish with a loaded gun at a pier location as this is a public used structure 100 meters is to be kept from boats as them from you as well as you mantaining 100 meters from a person or persons with a loaded gun whilst Spearfishing .! The penalty i dont know but where i be its alike this maybe a warning then if you proceed its all your equitment taken and suit all that you have on you also the fish then a tribuneral with a lawyers fee to pay then a fine of 1,000 or no more than 5,000 euro thats an expensive fish hope helps you

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT