• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearo at Portland

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Silent Assassin

May 1, 2005
Has anyone been out at Portland yet this season, be interested to hear if anything is happening yet. Bass seem to be in at Devon.

Went in at newton,s cove on the portland breakwater on sunday 1st may.Water was full of blossom and visability was very poor.Cleared up further up the breakwater but only saw small wrasse,pollock,small shoal of mullett lots of bait fish and a large squid!!! This was the first squid i have ever seen while spearfishing and didn't know if it's ok to shoot them or not.Lots of spider crabs about as well so all sign's for plenty of bass food about this season.

went in at grove point on portland today over old stomping ground.still losts of bloom in the water so visability was only 2-3 meters and tide was running like a steam train.strength of current really suprised me i don't remember it being that fast of the headland.still no bass or any flatties on the sand but plenty of wrasse and decent sized pollock chasing lots of sand eels.only saw one mullett today as well but lack of small wrasse,pollock,butterfish,blennies ect.ect. was very strange maybe current was too much.will dive this site again as weed growth since last visit is very impressive and area is very good for bass.personal best from here is 8lb 11 oz

Me 'n' my buddy have been out most days around Portland over the past two weeks. There's only been one or two occasions when we've returned empty handed. Our biggest bass so far this year has been 4lb and 21" long.

We'll keep trying for that monster fish.

Further to my previous post. I went out off Portland today and came back with 5lb bass. Tomorrow I'm gonna get a bigger one. :p

Last edited:
Still can't complain as the season is still very early and I aint doin so bad, crackin early bass so close in to shore.

Nice bass looks like all the hours spent hunting this week have paid off.Hopefully as season progresses i will be able to spend more time in the water.Already have a few spots ear-marked but would also like to have a crack at the black bream and trigger fish that are said to be around in the summer.Still haven't found out if that squid i saw would have been fair game?

Squid definately fair game! They are far too tasty to pass up.
Where did you see it ? not the location but where in the water column?
They only live for a year so you can spear as many as you like.

Thanks for replying huan.The squid was about 2-3 meters from the surface following the line of breakwater boulders before the drop off.The water was full of bloom so i couldn't tell you how deep it was overall.He was about 60 cm long as i have a Cressi sub comanche 75 gun and he wasn't far off the length of it.I could have shot him from the surface aswell and i like squid.
Bugger !!!!!!

Squid are surprisingly strong, Shoot through the mantle/body in the middle if possible.
To kill em squeeze em between the eyes or rip the head/tentacles away from the body.
The tentacles are my favourite part.
To gut them first skin the squid pulling the wings away form the body this will tear the skin allowing you to remove the rest of the skin, turn the mantle inside out by pushing your finger into the pointy bit at the top and rolling it inside out, scrape all the guts away from the body.
For the head cut the part from the eyes back and discard all the guts and ink sac. in the centre of the tentacles you will see the beak push it out with your finger, not while the squid is alive though!
Thats it.

Slice body into 1cm thick slices and tentacles into 3's
Roll in Flour and fry for 1.5mins in hot oil.
Serve with lemon and salt.
Get a stick to beat other people away from your squid.

Huan there are photo's of the squid i saw on the following web site under the spearfishing heading.www.portlandspearoacademy.co.uk.Now i will look out for more squid with your recipe in mind.Have you any good one's for flounder as i tried it at the portland spearo BBQ and it had a lovely sweet flesh.Any other aquatic goodies you could let us know about,with your obvious knowledge and experience i'm sure there's edible thing's i swim past every dive.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT