• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearo buddies at Inhambane end June 08?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ubuntu

May 13, 2008
I'll be at Paindane (north of Xai-Xai, 25 km south of Inhambane, near Guinjata) from 21 to 27 June. I'll have my sea kayak but no ski boat.
Anybody out there at the same time?
I live in Gauteng.

Eishh

I will be at Xai Xai or Tofu in October on a Varsity spearing trip, I am on a short leash because I have spent to much time up North and the girlfriend is not happy.

Let me know how it went, I have done Guinjata, mostly fishing though.

Happy hunting

I am taking fishing gear too - for the kayak. Not really into fishing, but what else can I do. Its a familytrip in the first place.
Will do a little scuba as well.
will give you feedback.

Ah, back... sent message prematurely, I hope that's where the premature stuff ends!!!!
I'll continue
After a month spoearing the guinjata area.
Try and stay with Collin at Jeff's place, it's cheaper and more relaxed than the neighbours. The dive school can be coaxed into doing some spearo trips for you, they have a great boat.
The spearing:
To the north.
Coconut reef: A massive reef going far out to sea, use boat if you want to dive further out, 12-30m, lots of Green Job fish and cuda, bewarte of the resident Zambo's. We lost many fish there and saw some big bull sharks.
Green Tree reef, need a boat and GPS, 35m deep, gauranteed to deliver if you drop a flasher +/- chum, lots of pelagics. Don't shoot the huge groupers(please).
Off guinjata, about 2 km out, 18m deep, some good spearing.
To the south
Paindane : Lots of fish but the current can be hectic.
Island rock: Go south of the point, there is a clearing, the reef drops 20-25m vertically down to a sandy enclosore, I saw lots of pelagics comming through there, tropical dorado, spanish macrel, GT's, baracuda ect. Also don't shoot the huge resident groupers. a Very nice dive.
Enjoy

Hope my girlfriend doesnt start spreading any of my prem info hahaha.

Thanks for that, I have fished guinjata a little but appreciate the dive tips, if a shoot a potato bass and skin it so no one knows and paint it to look like FAT Cuta do you think anyone will notice? OK enough with the jokes.

Mozambique (apart from Maputo) only really starts from that neck of the woods, its a hell of a drive though. We normally take our own boat but I have heard that Jeffs rocks so we may give that a shot.

Ya it is, I saw an article in a local (SA) Dive mag with a great review on Jeffs

The review is bang on.
There is a little local shop close by so beer is cheap. Try and stay in the one of the chalets by the sea, they are awesome and the sea breeze means very few mozzies.
Give some fish to Rafael, the Local helper at the dive shop. He is a great boat capt. and he very helpfull.
Here is a photo of Raphael and the view from the chalet and the other taken from the beach.

Attachments

• mozambique2005_0915(009).JPG
    mozambique2005_0915(009).JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 156
  • mozambique2005_0911(001).jpg
    mozambique2005_0911(001).jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 155
Hey thanx for those hints man! I'll print and take along. I met Zelda Norden of Active Scuba the other day. (She became friends with my daughter who resides on Grand Cayman) She now operates from Joburg but arranges SCUBA trips to Guinjata. Zelda is a mean free diver too, and she will be at Guinjata during that week.
Take care.

Eishhhhh to look at the palm trees makes me KEEN, now i am gonna have to up the time frame.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT