• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spearo holiday destinations

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

charlie.

Aug 12, 2013
hi guys im looking for a good holiday destination to do some spear fishing (tired of the crappy vis and cold water of the uk). i only have a few requirements first it needs to be warm and cheap(ish) and guaranteed good vis. ive been looking at the Aegean and the Adriatic as they seem quite sheltered so vis should be good but any other suggestions or reviews would be great.
thanks

A quick tip, check out the local regulations when looking for a place, getting a license in some places it is a hassel. In France now all you need is an insurance that covers you in case you damage something or hurt someone and carry a document pooving that spearfishing is covered. I usually ask my insurance (called RC, stands for Responsabilité Civile) to write a letter in French with all the info. You must also have ID and know the rules. In italy no license is needed, you must know the rules. I always carry the same insurance document written in Italian. Someone told me you should sign up for free on the associated ministry's website and they send you a card you should carry but I never do. I was told Portugal allows tourists to spearfish for a month without a license but I am still looking into that. In Greece, Spain, Croatia you need a license, others I don't know.

Hi Charlie, take a look at Portugal - I've seen some phenomenal bass videos shot there.

Hi Charlie go to Medfish Magazine look at local laws drop down to the country your interested in and read.it may help you decide where your going.Think of the whole package not just the fish!There may be less/or more fish in med the canaries may be a warmer option in to coming winter months .some places you may have to be there for a few days before you can even try to get a "licence"from the local mayor.

I would head for cuba , Cayo Guillermo is a real gem , I stayed in the iberostar daquari all inclusive for £800 for two weeks. There is so much good fishing right from the shore , a lot of big snapper and grouper about. But there is people who will take you to reefs on boats. A hire car or moped opens other neghbouring islansds up to you as they are connected via a causeway , I didn't spear there but I know it is allowed and It looks great for it. I mostly flyfished for bones and tarpon and did some livebaiting for big snapper.It was before I got into spearfishing

cuba sounds pretty sweet and suprisingly within my price range. im not sure about anything on the european adlantic coast at the mo as its getting into its turbulant winter mooods. whats south east asia like? i hear it awesome but the fish stocks are being hevily depleated.

Yeah Cuba is great for spearfishing I go every 2-3 months, have swithed from Cayo Guillermo to Santa Maria structure is different and far less fishermaen as opposed to CG these days. under the pier of the Melia in Cg late at night Cudas upwards of 5 kgs can be found even saw a a school of yellowfins once. Lots of small Jacks but its infested with Lionfish which if u do go try to kill as many as u can as they r a nuisance with no predator to control the proliferation. Good luck Oct Nov n part of Dec r hurricane months bear that in mind when u do make ur reservation.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT