• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearo in Ottawa, Canada (hunting in Quebec)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

schlergs

Mar 6, 2013
I just completed my first spearfishing experience in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, and I immediately fell in love. I'd never even thought about spearfishing in Canada because I was sure it was illegal.

Well... I was wrong... it is legal in Quebec with a few exceptions.

Luckily for me, I live in Ottawa, which is right on the Quebec border and near a whole bunch of lakes and rivers. My summer just got a lot more interesting (and delicious!). I'm ordering myself two Cressi Comanche (75cm & 90cm) so me and my girlfriend (or whoever) can go spearing when the weather gets warm.

Anyways... just wanted to give a shout out to all the spearos out there worldwide... I've already learned a lot from the site and plan on learning more. Hopefully, I hear from some Quebec spearos who can give the low-down on the lakes in my area.

Happy Hunting!

Some of us Torontonians would be up for a road trip as well!

Keep in touch!

I'm in Brockville :) also getting into it this spring, oh, and there are some wicked good freedive sites on the Ontario side of the border, just no spearfishing, which is dumb, it is the same damn water and fish....

The fish aren't the same... The ones on our side of the border speak English exclusively. We're only allowed to catch the French and bi-lingual ones. :D

Nice to hear from some fellow Ontario spearos. I'll definitely keep you all in mind once I start to get to know the area a little better and find some good fishing spots.

I agree that it makes no sense for spearfishing to be illegal in Ontario. Its the most ecologically friendly form of fishing. Probably just a misunderstanding somewhere back in the day. I'm guessing the intent of the law is to prevent spearing from shore. There are salmon rivers up by the Sault where the fish are in like five feet of water and packed tight when they run. Way too easy without a rod and line. Or maybe some swimmers got scared of frogmen with spearguns. Its definitely not something you usually see during a regular day at the beach.

Anyways... nice to hear from you guys... cheers!

im in ottawa also and spearfish very regularly, mainly in zone 10, 9 and 8. We are a few from ottawa that get together for shore spearing and we also do some kayak diving on occasion. We should definitely have a gathering this year for a meet and greet... who's in?

im in ottawa also and spearfish very regularly, mainly in zone 10, 9 and 8. We are a few from ottawa that get together for shore spearing and we also do some kayak diving on occasion. We should definitely have a gathering this year for a meet and greet... who's in?

I am a rank newbie, but yeah, I would be in for sure :)

Yes, a meet and greet sounds good. I'm in as well. Just keep me posted as to the when and where.

well lets figure it out... whats a good date for every one? I suggest to wait till at least late may or early june, so it warms up a lil... what do u guys think? also, where would we meet up? whats a good spot thats easily attainable by everyone?

well lets figure it out... whats a good date for every one? I suggest to wait till at least late may or early june, so it warms up a lil... what do u guys think? also, where would we meet up? whats a good spot thats easily attainable by everyone?

I run my own Tree Care company, so I'm flexible, anytime works for me :D

is this going to be a 1 day? or weekend thing? will there be a fish fry after?:p

ordering a gat-ku polespear next week

Are you thinking of meeting on dry land (i.e. restaurant or bar) or in the water?

Ideally we'd meet somewhere local that everybody recognizes to shoot the shit then go spearfishing... thats what i suggest but im open to other suggestions.

sounds great to me, how far across the border are we talking? lakes? or the St. Lawrence? would the river not be clearer and such? I'm stoked for this :) :) can't wait to meet everyone and talk spearing.

CDG

ok so walleye season re-opens on may 10 which is a friday and bass re-opens june14 which is also on a friday. For a location i figure probably close to the valleyfield area somewhere... but im open to suggestions.

that is on the St. Lawrence, makes sense to me, it would be the clearest water yeah?

never been there, but it looks like a big open area of the river, islands there too, which would mean shoals and rocks, which means 'eyes :)

That spot sounds like a good idea. I've read alot about how the spearfishing is really good in the St-Lawrence. Especially near Valleyfield/Beauharnous/St-Timothé. Apparently there are some dams that are really good spots. I don't know that area at all, so it would be good to go with someone who has been there.

Keep me posted.

I have an outfitters shore lunch pan, the huge one with the long handle ;)
one of the perks of being a long time bowhunter.

this should be fun.

I want to try a polespear in addition to a railgun, anybody ever polespear walleye?

You shore lunch entire deer? Must be a big pan! ;)

I'm only bringing a polespear... So we will see how successful that is.

I've heard that they are notoriously easy to spook, but if you go on YouTube and type "spearfishing Quebec" it appears more than possible.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT