• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearo Jobs??????

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Its Janners Dad that took us out to the Eddystone in June TOP MAN !!!!!!

I dive everyday the sea will let me. sun, rain, hail or snow I dont care I just get in. If the girlfriend moans I make sure I get up before her

I work in a factory, not the best job in the world but I finish at 4pm and the closest reef to my work is a 10 minute drive away so I cant complain.

I am really interested in the charter bit. I am aware that the overhead costs must be astronomical but i live on Guam, tropical year round and the spearing is tough around the island but not the archipelagos near here (many of them not breaking the surface) ....I want to share the spearfishing experience and give back to the community (and take a wee bit for myself as well).....Just curious as to who has some experience in the field or can put me in touch with someone who has. Hey, thanks for all the great posts too. Keep em coming!!!

-Pete

P.S. Already PMed Janner... hope to bug him more soon too!!!

That is a long paragraph to include '2 to 6 times a month' and 'you will mostly procrastinate' in both together rofl

in both together ? long is better than short. so thanks. (i think) puntuation is my specialty.I see its a hobby of yurs as well.

looks to me that you are probably in an awesome spot to dive and live right now. just chill there. isnt guam good? i always thought it was for some reason.

I gave up ´the office job´about 2 years ago. Now spearfishing for a living. Best decision in my life....

I used to bus/barback in a popular restuarant and bar. I was making $150/night cash and my days started at 5:30-1ish. I could wake up at 8 shoot fish till 3 then walk in to work
Oh and my college also pays me to go to school...so
:friday

wow. obscure word. if this was scrabble you would be way ahead!

Ha ha ha, good one. I like this spirit. Take a hit and shoot back with style.

Now back on topic. We were about diveboat captains and commercial spearos.

I insist that comm. spearo is a job for freedivers with big big nuts. I remind that the last commercial spearo been talked about on a Deeperblue topic has been our fellow italian Davide Carrera.
Go read what Eric Fattah, an ex Constant Weight world champion, had to say about Davide here...
http://forums.deeperblue.com/760807-post100.html
....and then say: Oooompf!!!!

"Davide Carrera is the best freediver I have ever seen or heard of. In my mind he blows everyone else away. Even Herbert has expressed his amazement with Davide.

Davide dives with a mask, no packing (7L), 3mm yamamoto suit, old generation mat-mas monofin with no angle, and no mouthfill for equalizing. He dives 99m like it is a total joke, celebrating on the ascent, not even breathing after getting to the surface, and virtually no narcosis either. He said the 99m was 'even easier than the 98m.' He said he chose to end with 99m because the number reminds him of infinity.

His training = his job = spearfishing commercially for 6 hours per day, 5 days per week, and he has done that for 4 years. He lives on a sailing boat (trimaran).

I always wondered what would happen if one of those European commercial spearfisherman tried diving on a line, and now we know. He could do 135m+ CWT if he pushed it with goggles and proper suit & monofin.

When spearfishing, he never uses a depth gauge either. He estimates he fishes mostly in the 30-45m range, using bifins but dolphin kicking".
Eric Fattah

Last edited:
i have two friends who are local commercial spearfisherman. one of them i barely know. one i have dove with twice,(scuba). both of these guys still enjoy diving. the thing is, in the US spearing on scuba is allowed. and the commercial guys around here use scuba to dive on deep wrecks, (150 to 260ft usually) we have ALOT of wrecks in the florida keys! they use powerheads to kill large black and gag grouper ,(i have seen pics of blacks up to 80 lbs!) lots of snapper, etc. they make a decent living. nothing crazy. the guys around here do lobster and stone crab traps as well, in order to make ends meet. regulations here are tightening QUICKLY right now. we have new closure areas at the dry tortugas,(google it , if you never heard of it,one of the greatest dive spots in the US, if not the world) and new grouper closures for 4 months a year. are gonna really hurt these guys now. scuba is used almost exclusively on deeper spots. these guys dont freedive when its for money. now obviously if you are gonna target tuna or other pelagics, you need to freedive. but i am just commenting on the guys i know locally, for information purposes. and these guys target deep reef fish mostly.BTW: these guys are a WEALTH of information! and gps numbers!!,(if you can get them to give any up!)my one buddy, john, dives three deep dives a day! at 200ft then two at 160ft range! that is crazy! he is a legend around here. a young guy too,(25yrs old)he is a good freediver as well. he often wins at the local spearing tournaments. at the key west open last year, he got a 22lb mutton snapper and a 63 lb black grouper! those are freakin huge ,(if you dont know) anyway, i dont know where i am going with this. there really isnt ant point to it. i guess i am saying this: when they are diving commercially, it is scuba, and deep and they dive alone ALOT! and it really isnt much fun for them. bu when they DO want to just have a good time, they freedive on their secret spots, etc.,( BTW:that is when you tag along and bring your handheld gps!) so it doesnt ruin diving for them to do it for a job, BUT the type of diving, gear, etc. is different than sport diving. around here it is easy to kill alot of fish, if you know where to go. here are some pics of a two day overnight trip to tail end area,(45 miles from key west) four freedivers ,(three of us got most of the fish)diving ledges in the 35 to 45 ft depth ,(10 to 15 m) last june. we went on my commercial buddies sportfishingboat. he can sell fish, we worked hard for those fish, but as you can see a profit surely can be made here still! check it out.

Attachments

• tail end june 15,16, 2009 008.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 135
  • tail end june 15,16, 2009 009.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 117
  • tail end june 15,16, 2009 013.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 133
  • tail end june 15,16, 2009 001.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 125
  • tail end june 15,16, 2009 005.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
I worked with an ex professional spearfisher about 10 years ago. He had made good money off Chile for tuna if I remember right but tired of it and was then living in Aus with refugee status.

Someone else`s post on this site summed it up for me. It was something like this.... "day four, I can`t face getting into the cold wetsuit for another 8-10 hours" rofl

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…