• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearo log book - what goes in?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

manalive!

Nov 9, 2010
Hello fellow spearos,

I'm thinking about keeping a log book of this seasons fishing trips. The categories I'm thinking are required are:

Date/time
Fish caught
Tide
Visibility
Topography
Water temp

Have I missed anything?

Thanks

I've been considering hacking together an online version based on Google maps that would allow someone to add their own GPS / visual location to a personal map and add updates / reports for their choice of locations.

Could be quite a bother but at least I wouldn't lose it :D

The only thing I'd add to your list mate is moon-phase, I know Dario used to swear by it. There are lots of site that can calculate it for you.

The moon phase is directly related to the phase of the tide, neap/spring etc. Is that correct?

I think I'd rather, initially at least, fill in a paper book, this way you have immediate access and wouldn't need to make sure you have a wireless/3G connection to get to your log. Though I can see the benefit of having a dynamic online copy.

Keep talking....

It's related but it's more to do with fish feeding patterns than anything else, I've read about it but don't 100% understand it.

Google 'fishing moon-phase calendar' and you should find a fair few things. As I said, Dario swore by it and he's the best spearo I've ever met.

I could build an online system but it depends how many people would want / use it. I'm quite tempted to just build a basic one for myself, it'd be good to see everything on a map.

If it works for Dario, then it needs to be taken seriously.

I'd be interested in using your online log, though some (most?) people might be reluctant to enter their best fishing spots in to a potentially publicly open forum. You would need to ensure confidentiality :mute, though obviously, as administrator you would need, ahem, access to this data :friday

Paul, just a question but what are your reasons for keeping one? If its just a compilation of the listed data then it does not change much trip on trip.

I kept an excel spreadsheet for two seasons with the basics you listed but also what species I had seen. From a personal point of view I don't really think I learnt anything new as I had already commited the optimal conditions/tides etc to my memory based on the days result.

However, what I have found extremely useful and have started to do for others is compile a portfolio of images from google earth with reefs drawn on to point out what I have caught where. Maybe adding a drawing could be a useful addition when it comes to sharing info with people? I can send you my half done attempt of my maps of S.Wales to give you an example

Reactions: Broseidon
If it works for Dario, then it needs to be taken seriously.

I'd be interested in using your online log, though some (most?) people might be reluctant to enter their best fishing spots in to a potentially publicly open forum. You would need to ensure confidentiality :mute, though obviously, as administrator you would need, ahem, access to this data :friday

The simplest way to do it would be for it to be installed on someone personal domain, eg: www.manaliveslog.com - then it would be yours and yours alone.

The major issue with that is that it would be totally limited to techies who can do a bit of basic coding; adding map co-ordinates manually at the back end etc.

I'll have a think about it and see what I come up with ;)

Dave,

Yes, I'd basically like to use it as a reference to basically accelerate my learning of what I expect most experienced spearos already know. I would be interested in seeing your logs, I'll PM you my email.

I guess it would also be worth making a note of the day of the week. I don't know how the fish or tides or whatever know, or how they are even aware of the days of the week or can spell, but I think ALL of my fish have been caught on days beginning with the letter "S". WEIRD!!!

Looks good to me, I would pay particular attention to size of tide.

I thought a spearo's logbook was just a number of strait knifecuts to the inside of the forearm?

Foxfish posted a page from his brother Derek's logbook once - it was very impressive reading!
I used to log my fish results on the garmin PC software which gave me the location too, probably like Dafydd suggested.
Interesting about using the moon phase Bros.

Bros is going to create an online tool and harvest everyone's diving data!

In the Med we add the "aims": point exactly where on the bottom holes and crevices are located, and what's within them (breams, groupers, eels or what), because it' likely that if you find fish in a hole once, you will find again. Fish, in facts, at least bentonic fish, never settle in a place for no reason, but always because they consider it a safe place to stay at.

Another art that's disappearing, related to hunting from shore, is taking "land aims" (mire a terra in my language) which I don't know how you call in english, maybe Landmarks?
It's about recording a point in the sea based on references on land. You spot a tree, the roof of a building, a tower or anything, take the point with the parallaxis method and draw it down on your book. It seems that no one bothers anymore (or no one is still able to do that) because of GPS, electronic/interactive charts or stuff like that. Still something that keeps you brain in exercise, if you want to try it.

Paul, the file with the South Wales images in has been corrupted (Used a pilfered program that then proceeded to decimate the rest of my hard drive).

I will try to make a start on some North Walian spots post exams but Google Earth + an edit program + brain = detailed image, a little frustrated as they did take quite a while to compile and have since forgotten many of the little titbits I had picked up.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT