• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spearos !

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lynn

monomaniac
Sep 5, 2001
Verrrrry Interesting this discussion on spearfishing!
(This should have been a reply to the thread Spearfishing, Good or Bad, but it sneaked off to the wrong place, sorrrrry!)

As a wildlife manager I must say that this is the key to the whole thing: think ecologically.

First of all: know your prey.
(abundance, reproduction strategy, population size, etc...)

Second: know their relation to their habitat (the area where they live and the effect they have on that area).

Third: pick the right individual

And last: make a clean kill and yell Gotha!!!! (preferably without drowning yourself in the process...)

Cheers,

Lynn :D

Last edited:
Originally posted by Lynn
As a wildlife manager I must say that this is the key to the whole thing: think ecologically.
First of all: know your prey.
(abundance, reproduction strategy, population size, etc...)
Second: know their relation to their habitat (the area where they live and the effect they have on that area).
Third: pick the right individual

lynn,

are we talking about strategies at our local pub? i think if people were this refined in their tactics, the divorce rate would be much lower. ;)

yes, the topic of pulling the trigger in an ethical manner is larger than one can imagine. almost all prominent spearos out there will preface any of their techniques with an issue in ecology. and, i think more and more younger guru's are starting to follow their lead.

it's a delicate issue, but important nonetheless. it would be nice to continue the discussion on how people are practicing/promoting conservation in their parts of the world.

later,
anderson

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT