• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Speartip advice.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Groupermadness

hole,torch,gun,fish.
Jul 24, 2005
Hi all.
I have a friend who visited me and he owns a metal factory in UK, we were talking and came to the subject of spear flex, as he is a great tech guy he started to do calcs on my spears and said they were good, with a minimum of back push force flexability, which down to basics IT dont bend/wobble much when shot off. then we started on the tip, and because of the rocky coast we have here mine looked, well lets not go there, and he said he would make me some screw on tips made from Titanium,
Basicaly cut of the tip and screwthread it 1cm above the floppy, the tip would be 4cm shorter to compensate weight difference so i dont get tip drop, and i get a fistfull of them, so always a sharp tip to hand.
The Question is, is it a good idea/viable option to sharpening the speartip and reducing the complete spear every time,
the spear i use is 120cm.

Speartips don't need sharpening everytime unless you are using omer's shafts. By the way i saw OMER's 2006 catalog that they are now making new shafts called "America" series and they seems much superior to their current shafts. Anyway i use small chainsaw file i got from hardware store to sharpen my speartips. It tooks only few minutes and does not reduce the total length of the spear like electric grinding machines does. I sharpen my 115cm spear only once a year and this is the spear i always use around rocks for shooting sargo and spinefoots. The trick is having a good spear, i am using 6.25mm EUROSUB spears and they are bent proof as well, and speartip is very strong too.You can get them from Sevketoglu domestic (omer's distributor) for around 20 euros. They have dealer in Girne but i don't know if they carry those new spears, but you can find them in Lefkosa for sure.

:) Thanks Murat, it was just an idea for having a stronger and sharper tip to hand, i'm not a very good shot so i do tend to hit a lot of Rock LOL :) :) . but i do sharpen the tip after each full days Hunting, then i know its sharp for the next time, i'm using the 120/6.5 Tahititian spear from (oh oh Lost that bit)
i think it was rob allan or maybe not :duh, never mind its a good spear and thats what matters.

Beuchat do what is called a Rockpoint shaft.
there is a small hardened tip of about 8mm in length that screws onto a thread at the end of the shaft.
The tips are much harder than the normal metal that shafts are made from (174-PH usually for good quality stuff)
and are an exact fit with no difference in diameter between the head and the shaft.

Last edited:
Murat said:
Speartips don't need sharpening everytime unless you are using omer's shafts. By the way i saw OMER's 2006 catalog that they are now making new shafts called "America" series and they seems much superior to their current shaftsQUOTE]
Not only the omers have this problem: also the cressi, the sporasub and even som models of seatec. Now I'm happily using devotosub shafts, the best i've ever used.

Huan said:
Beuchat do what is called a Rockpoint shaft.
there is a small hardened tip of about 8mm in length that screws onto a thread at the end of the shaft.
The tips are much harder than the normal metal that shafts are made from (174-PH) usually for good quality stuff.
and are an exact fit with no difference in diameter between the head and the shaft.

Hi Huan.
Thats exactly what my Friend is going to do, only with Tungsten or Titaniun. also he came up with some cool ideas for blue water speartips, Basicaly imagine the shape of a Dart(From the Sport Of Darts) and shorten the tungsten tip and taper the Titanium about 1.5cm from the tip to make a flowing head. throw that on a 7mm spear ,a tripple 19mm banded 120 woody and it would pass through a 60kilo Tuna wearing Kevlar body armour.

Of course you could always use a tri-cut tip, that will give better penetration too.
I recall reading a test that showed penetration from a tricut tip was something like nearly twice as good as a bullet point tip.

teicuts deforms easier and once they are deformed accuracy will effect too. Needs more attention while sharpening as well.

Cressi shafts are bent proof they are hard as nail but as Spagetti said the tip is soft.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT