• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spectra Cord??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mishu1984

Halla Waaaaallllaaa
Aug 15, 2002
Hi guys.
after browsing the net, looking for some spectra cord to keep on the boat for quick wishbone replacement, i've been unable to find it along any of the usual spearo gear shops, so i was wondering where i could get it online, and in what diameter.

thanks

Hi mishu , i just got some great spectra from Mori . His email is Morifish@aol.com and most likely will send it to ya and email you some sample picks . My reels have this line in 3mm , i like the bigger line ..easier to handle. Ill post some picks of it , so you can see .

Mori has it in 2mm , 3mm ...he has all kinds of line .

chad

Heres the 3mm, its great for wishbones like you want .
Cost me 28.00 dollars for about 130ft of spectra.

Why does Omer have such a nice site with no store? Just curious.

Attachments

• 8c3d.jpg
    8c3d.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Mishu1984,
Don't worry about the lack of online shop-If you need something from Mark, just email him. I just ordered 5, no make that 6 shafts (140-160cm) , and a couple of slip tips. He got them to me VERY fast next door to you in Qatar! (I am used to waiting between 7 days and 5 months for packages)

Headlands, That might be a spectra mix but it isn't pure spectra.
Spectra only comes in white.
You can't dye it.
I got mine from spearfishing.co.za
I would recommend that you make sure that you use it with only sharkfin type loading tabs or VERY well polished euro notches ie RA.
otherwise it doesn't last very long.

Mishu
That is the stuff.
2mm White Spectra.
If you go any bigger it gets hard to fit into Euro notches , although if you are using sharkfin type tabs you could even use Ashaway Tuna cord (blue)
Spectra and Dyneema are just tradenames for the same product.
Gel-spun Polyethylene is the technical name for it, It was originally developed for the military to control the rudders on cruise missiles.
It is of a different class to Kevlar which is an Aramid fibre and not what we are concerned with here.

daanng cruise missiles ehh?? impressive stuff indeed. speaking of kevlar, and other materials, when do you think we can start to see commercially markted spider's silk, which i understand is much stronger and cut resistant than kevlar?

Also what is the difference between Spectra/Dyneema and the Dacron that Riffe uses for his Gorilla Bands, or any other dacron? which one is more cut and abbrasion resistant keeping in mind that i use original Cressi shafts.

Thanks a lot Huan for the explanation. somehow the haze has been lifted :D

also, has anyone tried spooling a reel with 300lb. test mono? pros and cons of mono?

Last edited:
Headlands said:
Hi mishu , i just got some great spectra from Mori . His email is Morifish@aol.com and most likely will send it to ya and email you some sample picks . My reels have this line in 3mm , i like the bigger line ..easier to handle. Ill post some picks of it , so you can see .

Mori has it in 2mm , 3mm ...he has all kinds of line .

chad

thanks for the info Chad.
after looking around i just decided to drop Mori a line and and hope to get my stuf sometime by the end of this week. :D

Right on , that guy knows alot. Very cool .
Im sure you asked , but he does have an assortment of lines .

chad

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT