• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spot on west wales coast? around swansea?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

the shrimp

Apr 26, 2004
hey guy's,

i would like know if mid' west coast of wales have good spot...

been to Portland , but it's bit long drive for me..

so , if any infos!!! thanks. :wave

Maybe to far away but the north edge of Aberystwyth beach looks like it might turn up some Bass. Dont really know that part of Wales. I think the BSA hold a comp near Swansea, might be worth finding out where and having a peep

HI the BSA was meant to have a the first Wales comp West of Swansea last year (sorry can't remeber the exact venu), we all got there to find a massive swell had come in over night, the water was brown,so, we all went hone again. Long drive that! So sorry I still havn't dived there!

Hi Shrimp

Swansea is on the South Wales coast which I think is where you mean. The closest fishing to Swansea is on the Gower peninsula - here is a post I made to a similar question last year:
I live in Swansea and have been fishing on the Gower for a few seasons now. Basically Gower is a good spot for fish, especially bass, but is let down by the quality of the visibility. It needs to be completely flat to be any good, particularly on spring tides when the slightest ripple seems to be enough to send clouds of sediment into the water.

If you are planning a trip to Gower try and use the various surf reports to see what the swell is doing - try the links on a1surf.com or for the Gower you can ring PJ's surf report 090 1603 1603 - premium rate but much cheaper than a wasted drive.

With regard to spots on the Gower the whole of the south coast is good. Take your pick from any of the bays and fish the reefs/points at either side. All the points have strong currents on the outgoing tide though.

Langland and Caswell Bays have good access and parking and good fishing on the reefs at either side of both bays. Oxwich bay can have clear water when nowhere else does because of the protection of the point - fish out along the point on the right and keep an eye out for the wreck where you might find some trigger fish. Stay well clear of Oxwich point on the out going tide however - the rip is a runnig river.

I end up having to head out to Pembrokeshire quite often and it is a lot more consistent for vis than Gower but still not great. We haven't explored the are as much as we shoud have as we are quite conservative after nearly two hours in the car! The tips from Alison and Ceri are definately good though

The tips were Manorbier and West Angle bay in Pembrokeshire, and the BSA comp was due to be held in Freshwater East. As a rule of thumb, the further west you go the better the visibility as you are further from the influence of the Severn estuary, but bear in mind the effect of wind direction.

I hope this helps
Graham

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT