• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spring steel or other high quality spear shaft for mares Cyrano in South Florida?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ottoharing

Jul 17, 2008
Are there any place/store where I can buy spring steel or other high quality steel spear shaft for mares Cyrano in South Florida?
Thanks!

Florida Freedivers sell Rob Allen gear. Rob Allen spears are spring steel (why do you care?). I believe most Rob Allen spears have a euro-style curved notch for the trigger mech (rather than a square American style notch).

Reactions: ottoharing
Florida Freedivers sell Rob Allen gear. Rob Allen spears are spring steel (why do you care?). I believe most Rob Allen spears have a euro-style curved notch for the trigger mech (rather than a square American style notch).

Thanks! You are the best! I used to have the shafts the gun came with. They bent easily. The one I am using is spring steel and amazing!!!!

Reactions: Mr. X
He's asking about Cyrano shafts, which is a pneumatic gun. It uses 7 mm shafts. In South Florida you can get them at Austin's Diving and at Leisure Pro.

Are there any place/store where I can buy spring steel or other high quality steel spear shaft for mares Cyrano in South Florida?
Thanks!
You can also get them from Maverick America. I believe the Mares shafts are compatible with the Salvimar. I had a carbon steel that tended to rust, I upgraded to the stainless steel. But carbon steel flexes less, so it is easier to load if i add pressure to the speargun, but now I am using the stainless that does not rust/oxidize (i always rinse the speargun in fresh water at home)

Thanks!
The most common steel for the air guns' shaft is a 17-4 ph spring temper H900o
Thanks!
You need a 7mm shaft made of either 17-4 PH spring temper (H900 condition) or Sandvik steel. Sandvik is more expensive. Any shaft will bend under a certain condition. The best source for shafts is Europe (cheaper to buy a premade shaft from Europe than buy a tempered rod, threaded it, attach a flopper, etc). Buy several to save on shipping: https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-di...-for-pneumatic-guns-single-barb-7-mm/137427/p

You need a 7mm shaft made of either 17-4 PH spring temper (H900 condition) or Sandvik steel. Sandvik is more expensive. Any shaft will bend under a certain condition. The best source for shafts is Europe (cheaper to buy a premade shaft from Europe than buy a tempered rod, threaded it, attach a flopper, etc). Buy several to save on shipping: https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-di...-for-pneumatic-guns-single-barb-7-mm/137427/p
You are the best!!!

I just noticed that they can not ship it to the USA??? What the heck?

You can contact Maverick America, they distribute Salvimar, Omer etc in the USA. They may be able to sell it directly. or from leisure Pro.

Dude, this website periodically stops shipping certain brands to the USA. When I gave you the link it was shipping. You should have loaded up back then! Plus now dollar is weaker against Euro, much weaker

You can contact Maverick America, they distribute Salvimar, Omer etc in the USA. They may be able to sell it directly. or from leisure Pro.
That's the reason scubastore doesn't ships to the USA. There's a "representative agreement" between several brands and some american companies (reps) that do not allow european stores to sell to any USA based customer. Additionally, USA stores do not buy directly to european manufacturers, but through these "reps" that take their share without adding much value other than increasing the final price...

That's ridiculous in my opinion. Gear prices in USA stores are 50-100% higher than most european stores that also pay taxes, rent, salaries, etc.

You can overcome some of this inconvenience buying through ebay. Many european stores have their ebay store as well.

I believe they ship again to the USA - try now!
No. They don't. Thare's a monopoly. Better to find a phisical shop in Europe that ships to the USA or try ebay.

They do ship Sigalsub shafts to the USA, which in my opinion are similar quality than Salvimar. As I don't know the lenght of your Cyrano, I can't share the right link.
Here is the generic link: https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/spearguns-spearshafts/10/s#fq=id_familia:6&fq={!tag=ds}id_subfamilia%3A10&fq=id_tienda%3A1&sort=v30+desc,product(tm1,%20dispo)+asc&&&&start=0&fq={!tag=dm}marca%3A%22Sigalsub%22&fq=atributos%3A-580_1737_1-909_3963_1-

However, Mares Cyrano original shafts are not that bad.

Last edited:
No. They don't. Thare's a monopoly. Better to find a phisical shop in Europe that ships to the USA or try ebay.

They do ship Sigalsub shafts to the USA, which in my opinion are similar quality than Salvimar. As I don't know the lenght of your Cyrano, I can't share the right link.
Here is the generic link: https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/spearguns-spearshafts/10/s#fq=id_familia:6&fq={!tag=ds}id_subfamilia%3A10&fq=id_tienda%3A1&sort=v30+desc,product(tm1,%20dispo)+asc&&&&start=0&fq={!tag=dm}marca%3A%22Sigalsub%22&fq=atributos%3A-580_1737_1-909_3963_1-

I just checked - you can at the moment. It changes all the time. I was able to purchase items that were impossible to add to basket in other periods of time. Sigalsub tahitian shafts for airguns cost more than Salvimar. All these tahitian shafts are made from 17-4PH spring temper (including Mares shaft that comes with the gun) and are the same quality.

I have called them. They don't have any... :(

How reliable is this store? I just checked their reviews and they seem to be not legit... Did you order from them in the past? Thanks sooooo much!

I just bought and received from scubastore the Salvimar shaft for Predathor vuoto and cyrano (same).
the one for the 85cm is 950mm/95cm long.
I had bought the stainless steel/inox threaded 7mm shaft and I could not load the Predathor 85 with it because it is too flexible.
the Tahitian 17-4 steel 7mm shaft I can load, I can also load the 8mm stainless/inox.
The stainless in my case is good only for shorter guns. Maybe some others have more arm strength and better technique and can load those 7mm threaded shafts.

Anyway I am happy of the 17-4 steel Tahitian. Does not appear to rust like the standard plated shaft and it is a bit more rigid, bends less than the inox/stainless 7mm.
In the USA you can buy them from Maverick America, the salvimar distributor. You gotta call them as not all the products and parts are listed on the website.
You can also go to the Salvimar website and see which shafts fit a specific Salvimar, Mares, Cressi speargun.

Scubastore is legit. A friend of mine bought a nice 17-4 shaft for his 100 cm Cyrano in the Walmart website!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT