• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Squeaking noise from mask

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

lawstraljan16

Jul 9, 2012
I've had this problem for a while and I believe I am scaring quite a few fish because of it. I hear small amounts of air exiting my mask while diving and am pretty sure it's scaring fish, but I dont know why it's happening. Any ideas?

I can provide a small video of mine where you can hear what I'm talking about if necessary.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Inhale through your nose if you notice it again. Should stop it from happening.

Inhale through my nose? By that do you mean for the mask to 'suck' onto my face better? Any idea why it's caused?

Even though you are going deeper, you are likely still breathing through your nose and / or pressurizing the mask through your nostrils with positive pressure.

If you notice it, inhale and suck some of that excess air out of the mask and back into your lungs where it can do some good AND not scare the fish.

Ah yeah that sounds about right. Thanks for the advice.

Is this a common problem? Is it even a problem I can fix? (not trying to use my nose).

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…