• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

stainless steel wire

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mirror

Aug 15, 2010
I have a Cressi 90 cm speargun and am disappointed as to how long the the spear string lasts ,i am currently using monofilament and have a shock absorbing bungee to help this situation,but am thinking of fitting stainless steel wire,similar to that used in heavy angling gear for conger and sharks,and was wondering if anyone knows of this being done before and if there is any reasons for not doing so

Don't do it:
1. never enter the water without a dive knife
2. never enter the water with any cord that the dive knife won't cut
3. it would be too heavy and alter aiming

Most spearos use about 1 wrap of monofilament then a thin but strong cord, often dyneema (sp). There are many how-to's here and on youtube.

Reactions: Don Paul
I'm with azapa on this with that gun. I always have two razor sharp knives when I do use wire rope for large game fish one trip per year.
It can kill you or take off your mates hands if things don't go well when used on large game guns.

Cheers, Don

Try polishing/removing any sharp edges in the hole where you attach the mono. That will make a big difference!

check this: http://abellansub.com/bricolage.php?PHPSESSID=355cadc0d9d34c972e8471bfe0b2f46d#seccion5

Last edited:
Single strain stainless will kink, not workable. Braided stainless cable works well in only one use I can think of, otherwise it is way too heavy and infexible, messes with accuracy and has safety issues as listed above. I used to have a rock gun fitted with stainless cable and release snaps. Shooting fish in deep holes requires little range or accuracy, so it works there.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…