• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Stalking Techniques

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2002
Hey everyone,

I was wondering how all of you guys go about stalking your fishies...

I mostly hunt sheephead out here in Southern Cali. My usual technique is to make a bunch of short dives along a reef until I find a spot with a reasonable group of fish. Often times I will come across a group of 5-10 fish all in one section... When I find a spot like that I will stop and breathe up, then make dives to the bottom (typically 25-30 ft) I will then just sit on the bottom very still for a minute or two... During that time, I pick out the biggest one and I wont try to hit anything besides that particualar fish, even if I have a good shot at another one. Eventually my targeted fish comes close enough for a good shot, and you know the rest. :p

Im sure everyone has their own way of doing it.... Anybody use special techniques such as baiting, smashing urchins, flashers, etc... I suppose my technique is simply patience...

Happy Hunting!
Rico

You might want to look back through the spearfishing archives here. I think we've had a post on this before. It's got a lot of good info. If there's any specifics feel free to ask.
Jay

Try dive bombing for sheephead. Theyre pretty slow so use a short gun or a pole spear works too. Just when you see a school breath up and go directly down on top of them. It conserves a lot of energy but most of the time you end up with more fish cuz you can stay out longer.

Last edited:
technique

Rico
All that's Hawaii kine diving. I'm having a terrible time trying to learn it. My favorite way to get Sheephead was to know the spot exactly, dive 50 feet outside and crawl back on the bottom. It works best when the viz is less than 10 feet. It got me a couple of trophies.
Aloha
Bill

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT