• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Starting a club / training session

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

porky

Phat not fat!
Feb 12, 2002
I have been trying long and hard to start a freediving pool session close to me in Sunny Eastbourne (UK). Things are harder than I expected. However I am eager to get something organised close to me to eliminate travel. It is harder than I expecet. I have managed to persuade pool bosses that it would be ok. However to cover my own back what sort of things would I need to consider?

The pool has no O2 on site. Is this a must where other freediving clubs operate? Also I don't know anywhere near enough about freediving to be classed as a coach. Therefore I am unsure about the logistics of inviting people to join the session without having any idea as to ability levels etc...

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

please!!!!

Come on guys, someone must know something about setting up a club or training session? I was hoping the wealth of knowledge that is obvious on this site would be able to steer me in the right direction.....

Hi Porky,

I think the way to do it, is just to start the whole thing. The more people you meet, the more the word is spread, the more Information you will get.
You will meet people who have done some sports in water, not only Apneists, for example WaterRugby player, who do similar trainings as freedivers.

Check websites like http://www.freediving.co.uk maybe there you find an other club near you, which could help you to put up training sessions.

Myself I got into freediving like this, I didnt know nothing and no one so I started to write mails to everybody who was into diving until I found a group of buddies who are already training Apnoe.

So, I wish you the best for your project
I hope your Dream comes true,

greetings, WISR

have you joined the AIDAUK yahoo group? if not, then just follow my www link. i've also sent you a PM

alun

I will speak with you about this, since it is my responsibility in the UK for BFA session safety (well, sort of). I have several documents that may be of help.

Send me a PM.

Ben

Thank you

Cheers guys! I have registered with AIDAUK a while ago, but didn't get much of a response.

The nearest club to me is a 2hr drive away. I have been a few times but the journey is too much (4hrs driving for a 1hr pool session!).

Thanks for the help though, fingers crossed all will work out.

Just be thankful that you are trying to start something like this in the UK. In the hyper-litigous society we live in on this side of the pond, it is becoming more and more difficult to start these clubs ESPECIALLY if any sort of organized training sessions are involved. You essentially have to sign your life away in disclaimers.

Best of luck to you in getting the club up and running!

matt

Yes, I kinda got the impression things were that way. But where there is a will there is a way! Managed to get a lane in a pool sorted though. Today a lane, tomorrow the world!! hahahahahahahahahahaha..ha..ha.......ha.................ha.....hmm.

Decided to bump this thread from a search I did as its kinda on the road i seem to be going down.

I have started training with two other people in pool and the sea in the past few weeks. One is my brother another is an experiance scuba diver from France who used to spearfish and is well used to the sea. We are now talking about formalising this arrangment and having regular meetings etc. My problem is I will be the most qualified there (Aida 3 star). As such i imagine if the sh1t hits the fan its me who will be hauled up. I have done pool briefs and we have practised rescues on the line etc in the sea. We are also talking about starting Aida Ireland so if any other Irish are interested give me a shout.

From an insurance issue do you guys have any ideas how to protect ourselves best. Can these guys join the BFA having not done a course ? ( I will post in the BFA forum as well) I think we can affiliate the club through the BFA but would we all be covered or just me. Does Dan or anyone else offer insurance for something like this. I hope to become an instructor in the future but I cant see anything on the DAN site other than individual scuba insurance and instructor. I am in effect teaching some of the things I have learnt to these people from a safety point of view but do not have a qualifacation to do so. I should also add that I would trust these people not to sue me in a situation as they are aware of the risks but would be more worried about a justified claim from an immediate dependant.

Any advice or info other than don't do it you twat.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT