• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Starting freediving training with existing tinnitus

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

E-P

Mar 2, 2013
Hello the good people of deeperblue forum,

A disclaimer, before I explain myself. I am not thinking that this post and comments related to it will be taken as final medical advice. I am just thinking out loud and interested to hear your opinions as time is against me and I have to make decisions.

So, I have signed in for AIDA 2*course while going on holidays to see a friend at the Mediterranean. I am leaving in a week and the course is due to start in two weeks. However, I just got a timely reminder about the sensitivity of my ears a week ago and now I am uncertain what to do about the freediving course. I don’t have time to see a doctor as you have to wait two weeks to see a GP unless it is seriously urgent and I am not really in the sort of financial situation to go through private doctor/examination.

I have suffered for the past 8.5 years from permanent tinnitus, but I am lucky enough to have “just” a medium-frequency buzzing, which I am so used to now that it never disturbs me. As I have 100% adapted to it especially over the last few years I am not always wearing earplugs when I go to events if the noise level doesn’t feel too loud. A week ago I went to a pub where some musicians where playing and I did not use ear plugs as the music wasn’t too loud (Could still talk with almost normal voice level over the music). However, after this night in addition to the “normal” tinnitus I am suffering, I can now hear heart beating type/pace of noise with slight pain in my left ear. I read from the NHS website that this is called “Pulsative tinnitus”.

Now this started raising questions in my mind regarding my ears and pressure at depths. I started wondering whether I should actually go for the whole freediving course as I am suffering from existing tinnitus and my ears in general are quite ”weak” (My left ear starts to crackle for too loud high pitch noises, as a child I suffered years from almost chronic ear infections and my eardrums were pierced number of times, etc.)? Even if my ears are up to beat to deal with the pressure at depths then did my left eardrum suffer some sort of trauma a week ago that I shouldn’t do the freediving course now?

I could always discuss with the instructor about this and just do the AIDA 2* pool certification (that I can at least join my local club for pool training). On the other hand, I am wondering whether I am just over-reacting, but one tends to get a bit paranoid with all these noises! I tried to google if other people have started freediving with existing tinnitus, but getting results from google with search “tinnitus + freediving” did not provide the kind of stories that would make me feel any more comfortable about this :D :confused: Saying all this, when I lived in a warmer country I used to snorkel frequently with an element of freediving to depths of 5-6m with existing tinnitus and no problems with ears or equalization.

Thank you, if you managed to read so far. Interested to hear any thoughts from people who have much more knowledge and experience in this sport. At the moment I am thinking that I should do just the AIDA 2* pool certificate and think about the depths later after consulting with doctors. On the other hand, I could always try the depths too but really carefully and stop if my ears starts feeling awkward.

From my own experience - and taking your post into that analysis - it's a go from me...

But of course things might be different with you.

I've had it for a long time, and I'm quite sensitive about my surroundings, allthough it doesn't really take much energy any more.

I also wear earplugs here and there. However in warm (tropic and maybe subtropic) climates my body functions better; I can do harder training, and recover faster, without old injuries starts to bother me. The same goes for tinnitus. Ears are much stronger on vacations.

However: Music is still one thing that I allways takes strong precautions about, no matter what. Even though traffic and other stuff in the world can generate loud noises, there's something about music that seems to be highly damaging. Probably because it sounds good, so we tend to stay in a loud enviroment because it is associated with nice feelings (buddies, beer, boobs, whatever) - otherwise we would avoid it quickly. So wear earplugs at concerts. Strangely though, I'm 99% certain that it helps to be drunk when at a concert etc.... Like really helps, not just making it dificult to hear.

Anyway, be cautious as hell, but I don't think it will make things worse. Most likely the damage done is not directly influenced by pressure, but I'm no doctor. But of course an irritated ear in general might effect the area where the damage is done, so never push or forget equalising. And don't errupt you eardrum. The cracking sound is most likely because your ears got beat up at the concert, I vagely remember something like that, but only vagely.

One thing I've noticed rather recently is a "hypoxic sound". After a looong dive in pool, or a long hypoxic apneawalk my tinnitus gets loud for a very short while. But it seems more like it is everything else that dissapears, singling out the tinnitus. Hard to describe, but I'm not really worried (only maybe a slight tiny bit)- perhaps it is more related to high blood pressure. It's in the few 10-30 seconds during and after very strong hypoxia.

Sounds can be loud in water, but can't remember ever having an issue whith that.

Anyway, long story short, I've never really had any trouble despite being someone who pays attention to detail and analyse stuff.

One advice: For me, I can "push it" now and then, but then the ears need peace before and after, meaning earplugs when flying, being near loud traffic etc. etc. So take care of your ears before and after the holiday, and in the morning and evening during the course, and then have fun diving.

Last edited:
Tintinitus originates within the inner ear, (cochlea). Equalizing affects the middle ear and isn't likely to have much effect on the inner ear. However, if you don't equalize or do so poorly and late, its possible to push the little bones connecting the ear drum to the cochlea, into the cochlea. Happened to a diving buddy of mine and created horrible tintinitus, not to mention he's mostly deaf. Anything even close to that might well make your tintinitus worse. Thats a question for an ear doc.

I'd be careful with it and make sure you are always equalizing early and easy.

Thanks for all your comments.

Just an update. I did go to see a doctor regarding the slight pain and new type of tinnitus (pulsative tinnitus) and today finally saw one (I cannot believe the state national health care in my area :inpain:). I was now told that I have middle ear infection in the left ear! In theory antibiotics should be over and ear fine just when the course is due to start, but uncertain what to do. Doctor gave a yes-no-maybe-yes-no-yes type of answer...so need to talk with the instructor and see what's the plan.

I have tinnitus as well and I find it get aggravated by loud noises and people (my girlfriend) asking if I can hear the ringing in my ears.
You should be fine to go diving if that infection clears up. Have fun mate :)

Reactions: John B Griffith Jr
I have tinnitus as well and I find it get aggravated by loud noises and people (my girlfriend) asking if I can hear the ringing in my ears.
It took a bit until I realized that the annoying buzzing in my ears was in fact mc
…It took some time but I realized that the annoying buzzing in my ear was my girlfriend…)
..But seriously @the OP I have a tinnitus and can't find any difference before a dive and after, go for it buddy.

I have mild tinnitus and free diving has not made it worse at all. Like others I have learnt to block it out.

As others have said above - equalise early and often. Don't "ride " your ears to get those few extra metres - there will be other dives.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT