• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Starting from 0 (please help)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

zagazaw

Aug 5, 2005
Hello every one.. My name is Zak
am quite new over here..
nice forum..

well i havent been Diving for around 5 years.. am 18 now .. i didnt swim frequently for a while (not even in the pool). The only thing i do is playing basketball nopw and then..

now i started the bad habit of smoking a while ago ...
so i would really like to know some methods/Trainings/Technics...trting to clean my lungs from that poison i've been puffin in my lungs..
am about to quit smoking, and i would like to start from the begining...
any Idea's / suggestions , i will be gratefull..
cause i would really like to practice free diving again.

Thanks all.

Peace

-Zak

personally went through the same thing......

I had been a smoker for about 9 years and am currently 26 years old. I kicked the habit this year about the same time I picked up freediving. I worked cardio hard for the month or two after I quit smoking and noticed my lungs cleared up fast.... I did not have any trouble with depth or lung pain and this was only a few months after I quit smoking. I would just make sure you stay clear of the smoking and train and dive...... Nature will clear things up.......

Seth

Reactions: Erik
very simple ...

dont smoke anymore,
find a Buddy or Freediving club,
DB forum is like freediving bible book,
and but very imotant ...
never dive alone ( no matter ,static, dynamic or constant )

good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Erik
Hiya Zak
I gave up smoking too, 24 years worth :yack to be honest in a diving context I didnt see any positive difference but then perhaps my experiences might be out of the ordinary but 1 year on I do feel better big time, that coughy morning crap has gone and the everyday phew feels so much better. Give up now before it becomes a real hassle because it will, trust me :(

thanks Seth. Adam and Alison for replying fast ,

well i hard about holding ur breath and start Running(or makin a fast walk at the begining) <---- Useful?

Adam.. why never dive alone? (i 've actually been diving alone when i first started).
i will be goin to Port-Sudan (red sea) in a month,(my next holiday) with a friend..

i dont really have knowledge about Free diving, so i will be hangin around here , and with your help, hopefully i will learn something :)

oh yeah, i got these bi-fins (called TECHNI-SUB italian Made) written on the STRATUS for some reason.. there are quiet Long , about 24"+ or something(not sure).. ever heard of that brand? any good?
plus is there a difference between Scuba Fins and Freediving fins..?

i know this isnt the appropriate places for this kind of questions..
but i guess its just too Newbie to get its own post each...

Plus i guess my Old mask is quite Cheap , and dangerouse,, i guess its made out of pure glass or something, should be changed immediatly right?

+ which type of mask is better , the one with a single Window that cover both eyes and nose, or the one that got duel windows? ( sorry, my terminologies are bad in this field)

thanks again in advance,

and sorry for the too much questions :)

Zak

Try to find a course for free diving. Even an intro will answer many questions and if you avoid a mistake or two, the net cost will be very low. Free diving, even training, requires a partner.

One thing that may be easier to find is a teacher for proper breathing. This will do two things, let you start dry training and help you kick the habit. Pellazarri's book might be the next step.

Aloha
Bill

Never dive alone ... its a rule of every serios freediver, simple Blackout in a water can kill you. Sure here are enough people who will mine such as snorkeling and fun diving: max. 1:30 and max. - 20 m isnt dangerios, but its SAFER and better to dive with a buddy or friend, or even better with a girlfriend, if she know the stuff. Never do a static alone in a water! even in a badroom ... same here the risk of blackout is always there.
It isnt worth to risk! You can practice Dry static, what normaly most people practice at first. As i said its much safer to have a buddy or even better to dive with diving club ... or diving team.

You will see, to stop smoking is worth it ... earlier or later ... its never to late!

Jogging is very good can help you with freediving. Long distances, like in cardio training. better to run slow but long distance with right breathing ... My freediving helps me in runing and runing helps me in freediving. Swimming is very helpfull for freediving too. Or cycling. I like swimming as additional training more than jogging, because i cant miss water anymore :D

Your gear is for starting okay. I would keep using it on your state. And before you buy your first freediving equipment masc or fins i would test them first. So a diving or even better freediving club has lot of advantages. Take a look in equipment forum ... you will find enough information.

Not only about equipment , training, technique and so on , here is lot of information about freediving.

dive safe!

Thanks ya all :)

i will keep searching around the forum for a while (or more) :D

Peace

-Zak

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT