• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

static dress rehearsal

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bill

Baron of Breathold
Oct 17, 2001
If anyone is interested.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke-VYSv8qQw"]YouTube - Breaking the U.S. Breath Hold Record[/ame]

Lee Gruenfeld is a friend that visits Kona in October and a heck of a writer. Golf novels is his specialty. He does a daily blog for Iron Man, plays some golf and supports his wife for the race. Cherie Gruenfeld was a repeat world champion this year after injury forced her to spectate in '06.

He has become interested in static and even wrote an article (yet to be published). When he challenged me to do 8 minutes in front of the camera I failed, but it was still good training. Like I tell Kirk and Mandy, some of us teach by showing how not to do it.

Amazing performance, Bill! But are you sure you should not be disqualified because of your age? I thought pensioners are not allowed to compete - how else can then the young freedivers ever break any record?

PS: wish you pass the magic 8 at the real attempt!

Reactions: Bill
Excellent. Very, very impressive. Didn't look as though you needed long to recover, either.

amazing bill! I have just tried my first pool statics in a course with Martin Stepaneck and managed 4:40. I will try to improve this summer. A couple of q"s

you don't use a mask or googles, do you find any improvment (DR sensors around eyes exposed)?
do you have your eyes closed?
at what phase in the hold does your first contraction appear?

Thanks for the tips in advance.

That's a very good instructor that you have. Martin helped me over a few hurdles in diving. I don't think any one has the best answer yet. Try to set up a training program that you can stick with and the times will keep improving.
No goggles was an experiment and didn't make much difference in time but prevents making some mistakes (surface prodcedure or checking the watch) so I stayed with it. I can relax more with my eyes closed but opening them helps prevent vertigo when the safety diver seems to move me in the wrong direction and concentrating on a blurry point helps near the end.
Contractions are different for each diver. As my times improved, they started coming earlier. Now the first are mild at about 3 minutes and about 5 minutes is the worst.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT