• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Statics affected by water?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

tylerz

Jun 19, 2002
It occurs to me that I have not seen much regarding the effects of water on the body, outside of the idea of the "mammalian diving reflex", and how this might affect statics.

My thought, springs out of the recognition that whenever we enter the water, we come out exhausted or feeling very tired/drowsy shortly afterwards. I have always accounted this to the fact that water can strip the heat off of our body quite efficiently, when we are not wearing a wet-suit. Therefore, our body is constantly working hard to keep us warm and replace that heat. I believe I have also come across an explanation previously as to why we need to urinate more frequently when in the water but I forget the explanation now?

Is anybody aware of other physiological effects?

Now the point I am looking to determine is that if we do statics then any such factors will begin affecting our performance in water, so maybe there are better practices to minimize negative effects.

Cheers,
Tyler

Don't know how much validity there is to this, but I recall hearing that we absorb a surprisingly large amount of oxygen through our skin - essentially breathing through our skin.

I don't know if this oxygen goes directly to the blood stream or not, but could this affect statics? If you were to do your static with no wetsuit and your back exposed to the air, would it help?

Anyone have info on this?

Jason Billows
Ottawa, Canada

Tyler,
There is an excellent article on DB called "Hydration and Diving" by Laura Harris that explains why we tend to urinate more frequently: http://www.deeperblue.net/article.php/373/32

It seems to ba a reaction of the body to compensate for the shift of fluids from the extremities to the core of the body. It's on the third page of the article in the section called "To Pee or not to Pee."

Adrian

tylerz,

I also figured the tired feeling was due to heat loss, but now I'm not so sure. We recently dove a warm spring (about 88 degrees F). We were in for about 1.5 hours, no suit of course , and never felt even a little bit cold. I wasn't hot, but would have been if moving fast. Very low key diving. When we got out all of us commented on how RELAXED we felt, wasted might be a better term. All any of us wanted to do was vegetate in the sun for the next couple of hours. Hope this adds to your knowledge base.

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT