• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Still got that feeling?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ben

Apr 26, 2005
Hello all,

I'm lucky I dont suffer from sea sickness in any shape or form! It doesn't matter how rough, how long long iv been out or what iv eaten.

However, when i get out of the water i really notice that iv been in!!!! Don't know if its called "land sickness" or what? Im still not sick but im sitting here typing feeling like im out on a moderately rough sea lurching and swaying like there's no tomorrow!

This is not a problem in itself, in fact it mildly soothing on a monday morning, its just that i only went spearing for 2hrs ........... 24 hrs ago!!!!!

Iv always suffered, dont have ear problems and my coordination is spot on so my question is... I cant be the only one who gets "it" for this long can I?

The mad thing is, i probably have another 12hrs to look forward to!
Bring it on!!!!!!

ben

You're not alone Ben - I get this as well. But I also suffer on a boat too! Haven't been sick, but felt very very ill, both on and off the boat.

I did a weeks liveaboard last year and felt 'land sick' for three days after returning to dry land... not nice!

Donna

Donna,

Fantastic, for a while there I thought I was the only one....!!
A weeks liveaboard eh? Presuming my ratio of "water movement exposure" to period of "land sickness", one week could equate to 4.5months!!!!!!

ben

Me too, Ive always had this when Ive been in a choppy sea, whether that be in a boat or a shore dive, it can last for days Just kind of got used to it

Got it many times from diving or even from just playing at the sea if waves were rythmic enough. I consider it as one of the bonuses of diving.
I think It has remained for more than 24 hours some times in the past.
Sometimes I forget about it and only at night at bed I feel it again (EDIT: I wonder what colourful comments will pursue...).

I used to get it too after a day's bodysurfing. I'd close my eyes at night and I'm right back at sea, waiting for the sets to come in. I liked it as there was no "sickness" or dizzyness associated. It just lasted until I fell asleep.

Adrian

Hi Ben
Rock'n and roll'n after a boat trip is pretty common. After 4 or 5 days on the boat, Everybody in the family rocks for a couple of days, especially if it was a rough trip. One day trips don't get me much, or for near as long.

Its a wierd feeling but rewarding in a funny sort of way. My wife doesn't like it at all, but then she is very susceptable to sea sickness.

Connor

Last edited:
I don't need much time at the boat to feel like that. I feel it mainly at closed spaces as the shower or looking at fixed objects like the computer. I just feel it for 24 or 48 hrs.

I like it.

Salud

This is very interesting. I get sea sickness when I am diving (shore diving) but once I get on land it all goes away. Hmmmm something fishy going on here.

Following some shallow diving (no more than 10m) recently I've experienced a real sense of loss of balance. It's almost like being really drunk expcept that you feel ok in yourself and your reactions aren't slowed. I suspect that some water has gotten into my inner ear somewhere and is causing this?

How do people avoid this or get over it? I can't sense any water in my ear but it must be there. My hearing seems normal and I've no infection that I'm aware of. I've had it for a week or so. It did improve with a two day break from diving but has returned after my sesh last night. Am I doomed to wobble about until the end of the season? rofl

isn't that what's called 'sea legs' or something?

when i first started diving in maldives i could feel the surge of the sea at night and dreamt most nights about the blue and coral reefs... the boat feeling would last for days... i love it. combined with a cocktail it got even better :friday

Try fresh ginger root for sea sickness. Fortunately I don't suffer from it very often but I have found it debilitating.
Crystallised ginger is not as good.

Jez,

I have been experiencing the same thing as you since two weeks (while I've been diving over twelve years and never had it). Mine started after freediving (so It can't be deco), but with my last scuba dive I had it too.
Normally when I've been on a boat or a plane I feel it to, but I never had it with swimming/diving.
There can't be water in your inner-ear, because ther's no connection with the outside environment. There can be water in your middle-ear however.
Forcefull vasalvas can be the problem. Also when you have a cold and there is a pressure difference between the two (middle) ears, you might experience dizziness.
Still working on it. I'm currently working as a resident of neurology, so I have access to information rofl

There is some kind of infection of the inner ear that can cause a loss of balance. Could it be that either of you has some ear-bug? (an ENT might help if so).

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…