• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Stomach pain after surfacing?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

adax

May 23, 2006
Next beginner question here. I have not found answers to my problem on this forum or anywhere else. I would like to ask about quite strong stomach pain during the first experiments with apnea in the swimming pool. The pool is not deep (some 1.5 m), but after swimming the distance of some 30-35 m and just after the first exhale I get very strong pain in the area of stomach, just under where the breast bone ends. This pain is always there even in static. Could it be the diaphragm? Or maybe the blood flowing rapidly back to the stomach after breath-hold? Could the problem be that while surfacing I start exhaling already in the water?

I am definitely not hyperventilating by breath up, I do 3 strong inhale/exhale cycles while trying to prolong the exhale (to maybe 10-15 s). Just before the last inhale I exhale as much as possible almost to coughing. I am not packing.

And just by the way - how do you prevent swallowing air going to your stomach by breath up? In the pool it is not a big problem, but it can be a problem in depths.

I am very new to freediving. I only can do now about 2 min. dry and some 1:30 wet. I hope I can gradually improve, I have been practicing since 2 weeks only.

Have you tried stomach-breathing? Take a deep inhale so you belly will pop up, when it's 'full', try going smoothly from belly to the chest part and inhale until it's full as well.

I have no idea if this could possibly take away the pain, it's probably something more complicated. Just a wild guess.

Does the pain come with the urge to burp/belch? Is it alwasy there or is it just present when you perform apnea? Perhaps it may be due to stomach acid?

I found last year that apnea tended to aggrevate my stomach somewhat, just below the breast bone as you describe. To help with this, I tend to take a few Gaviscon before diving to help contain the acid. Maybe this will help?

Maybe it's because of swallowing air? Just another wild guess. :)

Also, do you eat before diving, and how much?

Lucia

Last edited:
Thanks for you replies so far.

Anyone has an idea about a technique preventing air from going down to your stomach (I mean swollowing it) by breath-up?

I know about stomach-breathing and I always try to do it.

It happens to me every time after dynamic in the pool, not on land. But it gradually goes away with breathing. I've never had this feeling before, it is really strange kind of pain like cramps in the stomach.

I usually eat 2-3 hours before swimming, I also think this could be the main problem. I have to try it. But if I don't eat for 4+ hours I feel quite weak...:(

I had this problem, you are eating to soon then training you should train at least 4 hours after eating. Drinking Water is ok.

Train in the mornings with no breakfast, have a big meal the day before.

worked for me.

Tried with no breakfast today, it was a little better but still perceivable. :crutch

But the main today's observation was that it gets better with each dive! So the main rule is probably for the body to get gradually accustomed with it... :head

Trying to find a clear answer fo this problem, when i hold my breath dry, no problem, when i hold my breath while spearfishing no problem, at least last summer. When i hold my breath in a pool while swimming big stomach pain and a bit of pain at the back of my neck. Tried with or without fins and both results the same. Any tips?

Trying to find a clear answer fo this problem, when i hold my breath dry, no problem, when i hold my breath while spearfishing no problem, at least last summer. When i hold my breath in a pool while swimming big stomach pain and a bit of pain at the back of my neck. The pain comes only when resurfacing. Tried with or without fins and both results the same. Any tips?

Just had the exact same thing happen. Shallow pool, swam 35M surfaced and doubled over with stomach pain. Did a lot of burping afterwards so I think it's a reflux issue

Just wanted to share my thoughts to the people experiencing this discomfort or rather pain. From what I've heard it mostly occurs to people who eat before diving. Try reducing how much you eat before diving and don't dive with an empty stomach (that would be worse). but these are just suggestions. I'd advice anyone who experiences this to see a doctor for diagnosis, it might be a symptom of another thing.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT