• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Stomach pain in breath hold

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

t-m-d

Dec 15, 2006
Hey everybody...

I wonder if somebody else has experienced the same thing and I would be glad to get some advice.

I've been freediving for some time now but lately I started a regular practice with a coach. I have always gotten contractions very early in my breath hold but except for being pretty annoying they don't stop me from holding my breath. Some days ago though, I was doing 50 m in the pool without fins and at when I got up I got real stomach pain. Not in the muscles but in the stomach. I had to get out of the water and go to the toilet.... :-( This had never happened before until now.

Yesterday I did 50 m with ABC (mask & fins) at the other end of the pool and again, I got pain in my stomach. Not as much as last time but still. I did the same thing again and yes... again pain.

So anyone know what this could be?!? My coach said it could be caused by a common reflex that I start swallowing air into my stomach when I get to my limit. Could this be it?

Hope to get some advice from you all...

Toni (DK)

not sure toni had you eaten shortly before hand on both occasions i find that sometimes but usually if i have eaten a couple of hourse before

No, that's why I couldn't understand it. I never dive on full stomach.

I know it's a quite akward question and most people I ask this just look at me as if I'm weird :)

Toni

It could be something to do with swallowing air. Fortunately I don't do this during apnea, but I do when I am in a stressful situation such as an office. It makes me feel sick and there is nothing I can do about it, except to not work in an office. :cool:

Lucia

ito the first person that questioned..

i hate to give you the simplistic.. did you dive with a full stomach?

did you pack air before diving?

i notice all of those things hurt my tummy before diving.. and i've only packed once (not supplied air.. like.. hmm. lung packing)..

i got more time down packing but the pain SUCKED and i just didn't feel too well doing it.

if it's not any of those.. you may want to see a doc and see what he says.

i'm sorry you have tummy probs and i'm sorry i can't help more, i just notice my most consistent tummy problem happens when i dive about 2 hours after eating or sooner. maybe those tummy problems are contractions? we all get them.

sorry i can't offer you more.

Last edited:
t-m-d said:
Hey everybody...

I wonder if somebody else has experienced the same thing and I would be glad to get some advice.

I've been freediving for some time now but lately I started a regular practice with a coach. I have always gotten contractions very early in my breath hold but except for being pretty annoying they don't stop me from holding my breath. Some days ago though, I was doing 50 m in the pool without fins and at when I got up I got real stomach pain. Not in the muscles but in the stomach. I had to get out of the water and go to the toilet.... :-( This had never happened before until now.

Yesterday I did 50 m with ABC (mask & fins) at the other end of the pool and again, I got pain in my stomach. Not as much as last time but still. I did the same thing again and yes... again pain.

So anyone know what this could be?!? My coach said it could be caused by a common reflex that I start swallowing air into my stomach when I get to my limit. Could this be it?

Toni (DK)

i missed a bit of what you said before..

try NOT to swallow. it triggers the breathing reflex and i notice that makes me need to breathe sooner. someone else told me before and i met him in person from here. he may just be right, i've done his tip and i can stay down a bit longer without swallowing when the need first comes. try to resist swallowing as long as you can.. you may resist the need to breathe and the contactions stay away a bit longer.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I wonder if this is anything like my bladder letting go during my long breath holds? That kind of started up out of nowhere, too! Actually, I think I may be looking at a form of blood shunting. As my body starts pulling the blood to my brain and heart, the blood leaves the bladder muscles, they release, and.....I need to wear protection while doing statics in bed! lol As for pain in the stomach, though....hmmm. Maybe it's like a lactic burn, but in your abdominal region?

Todd

Thanks for the answers!

Well, I think you are right Lucia and monofin_diva. It must be the air-swallowing thing. I just couldn't believe it since it normally doesn't hurt when swallowing air... it just makes you burp :)

I'll try not to swallow (or at least try to resist) after christmas... :)

Merry Christmas to you all!

Toni

Hey everybody...

Toni (DK)
hey man i got the same problem i feel a stomach pain when doing my dry static it's as if i got undigested food and i feel like puking i think that it may have something to do with gas problems or something like that coz i usually do my dry static when i wake up on empty stomach..

hey man i got the same problem i feel a stomach pain when doing my dry static it's as if i got undigested food and i feel like puking i think that it may have something to do with gas problems or something like that coz i usually do my dry static when i wake up on empty stomach..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT