• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

STRANGE effects from eating cowrie slugs

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bughunter

Nov 3, 2008
I scooped up three cowries from a local surf spot ranging in size from 4-6 inches long. A friend and I ate them and they were delicious! first time ever tasting those things for me. The strange part though, is that about an hour after eating the critters and arriving home I'm on my computer looking at some funny picture on flicker. The picture makes me laugh, and i CANNOT stop laughing. took me about half an hour to calm down, but for at least another hour I would laugh hysterically at just about anything. No, I did not take any drugs or mind altering substances of any kind that night... well, i had 2 beers at my friends house before we grilled the slugs. and i don't react that way to 2 beers. Anyone else ever experienced this or heard of it before?

Is a cowrie some type of shellfish? Where can I buy some...roflrofl

other people here in kona do eat cowries occasionally, but nobody has ever heard of a similar reaction! I'm gonna have to go find some more and see if it happens again. I'll try and post some pictures for those who don't know what they look like.

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/32203680@N02/3067748384/"]cowrie shells | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3064/3067748384_36fda5f868_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@3067748384@@AMEPARAM@@36fda5f868[/ame]

Maybe the picture on flicker really was that funny? Or you ate a female cowrie with a healthy dose of chick hormones....

I scooped up three pints from a local pub they were all the same with regard to size but one did have a bit of a large head. I drank them in the company of a friend they were delicious! I must admit that this was not my first time. The strange part though, is that about an hour after drinking the pints and arriving home I'm on my computer looking at some funny picture on flicker. The picture makes me laugh, and i CANNOT stop laughing. took me about half an hour to calm down, but for at least another hour I would laugh hysterically at just about anything. No, I did not take any drugs or mind altering substances of any kind that night... wow those three beers at my friends house I don't react that way to 2 beers, but obvioulsy 3 is too many for me. Anyone else ever experienced this or heard of it before?

sorry but just could not stop myself.

kev

Cowries eat algae. They could have eaten some toxic algae which passed on the effect to you.

The other day after eating one I came up with this poem:

I've never seen a purple cowrie,
I never hope to see one.
but I can tell you anyhow,
I'd rather see than be one.

Or did I read that somewhere...rofl

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT