• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Strange fish ! What could it be ???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Etruscan

Jan 26, 2010
Hi, lads !
A friend of mine caught this strange fish last week at Cabo Verde...
Never seen before anything like that...
Dose somebody know the name ????

Attachments

• 2010_11_14_0525.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 229
Looks like a jack of some sort maybe a GT ((giant trevally) or amberjack?
I saw some very big jacks caught when I was there.
How big was it?
The locals had a name for the big jacks but I cant remember what is was?

The weight was about 7-8 Kg.. It' s not a jack trevally. We caught some and they are different .. We also caught "african pompanos" (alectis ciliaris) and "shareu" (seriola fasciata) but the one of the pic was different and was the only we saw /caught..:head

guys
this is a MAHI MAHI dorado with a small deformation
that looks like it by its mouth & head structure

some on my kayak

look again at the head of the fish

Attachments

• dorado.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X and spaghetti
Does look like a mahi. The photo is pretty crap though so cant tell. looks very much like a member of the mahi mahi from what ive seen in hawaii......but the bottom jaw looks like something ive never seen.

I know... the picture is very bad..
This other one is not better but you can see the slim body ot the fish in the left hand (the one on the right hand is a little wahoo..)

Attachments

• 2010_11_14_0526.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 202
Sembrerebbe una Lampuga (Mahi). Anzi, un gran bel Lampugone.

Last edited:
Sembrerebbe una Lampuga (Mahi). Anzi, un gran bel Lampugone.
Probabilmente si.. Quell' asino del mio amico se ne è sbarazzato subito dopo aver fatto quello schifo di foto e non ho potuto vedere il pesce di persona...
(so probably it' s a female mahi... unfortunately I couldn' t see the fish with my eyes..)

Probabilmente si.. Quell' asino del mio amico se ne è sbarazzato subito dopo aver fatto quello schifo di foto e non ho potuto vedere il pesce di persona...
(so probably it' s a female mahi... unfortunately I couldn' t see the fish with my eyes..)

I hope he ate at least a chunk of it. Lampuga (Mahi MAhi, or Dolphin fish) is very good to eat IMHO. At least the small ones we find in the Mediterranean.

I've never seen any of them bigger than a couple of kilos over here. But I KNOW the big ones are in our waters too, somewhere. Look what a lucky Deeperblue guy speared at Riva Trigoso (I said Riva Trigoso!!!!). http://forums.deeperblue.com/medite...atch-photo-spearfishing-italy.html#post664993 . Alberto, they must be somewhere out here! We just need a little bit of "K factor"...

Coriphaena equiselis !!!! :thankyou

Attachments

• pompanodolphinfishbig.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 197
The lack of green and gold made me think the same; female C. equiselis
Maybe Etruscan's friend could shoot another one and pass it around for us to all try, er, examine!

The lack of green and gold made me think the same; female C. equiselis
Maybe Etruscan's friend could shoot another one and pass it around for us to all try, er, examine!

Impossible, for now... The fish was shot in Cabo Verde, two weeks ago, where we were together. But the holiday is over and we are back to Europe (and winter..) now.. :waterwork
Maybe we go again next year...
The following was my best catch...

Attachments

• DSCF0046.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: Mr. X
nice alectis alexandrinus
how it is call in Italian?

here we call it Camelfish or Ben gurion fish ( first primeminister of israel) rofl
for the shape of the head

i must say we have this fish in the med some examples we catch from a kayak

a very tasty fish
saluto amico

Ah, ah... very interesting !
We have not an italian name for that fish..
We just use the "international" name: african pompano..
I' ve never seen it in the Mediterranean but probably you can find it in the eastern part for the closeness of Suez channel..

Countermand ! It' s not an Alectis Alexandrinus but an Alectis Ciliaris. The fish has not the slight concavity near the eyes which distinguishes the two species !

Last edited:
Glad it wasn't something rare
(Hi Mundial, have you switched from SOT kayak to surf ski?)

hey MR-X
no this is a a SOT but fiber one
or like the south africans call it fishing sky
happy new year mate:friday

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…