• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Strange Hyper Mode....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dom12

Mar 17, 2011
:confused:
So, usualy during dives i stay as relaxed as possible, low heart rate, nice deep breathing.
Then i dive down and remain relaxed and dont move much at all apart from my legs, but usualy coming near to my max i start getting heavy contractions and it is time to surface.

Two days ago, Barbados East coast went flat (which it does only one or two months of the year) so the water is clear and there is plenty of fish everywhere.
So i went spearfishing, due to the abundance of fish..i must admit i got abit excited and so this is how it went.
About 8 hours in the water, i did not do warm up aspetto dives or any warm up what so ever.
Just alot of diving down for about 1 minute to 1minute 30s, at the surface only spending around 20 to 30 seconds before diving down again (only 50 ft).

The weird thing is, my heart rate was high and racing and breathing hard and fast on the surface from all the exercise, but everytime i dove down, i seemed to be staying down longer or just the same as the last time..with out any contractions what so ever.
Even though my body was high in CO2 from all the diving down with hardly any breath up time and from all the exercise of swimming down and up, in current and fighting fish.

No blackouts or light headedness...What could explain this??

Dom.
(sorry for long thread).

I have heard of this before. If you do enough fast high CO2 dives, something strange happens and suddenly you can hold your breath for a long time easily.

I sometimes have the same in the pool when I start by doing a combination of swimming and apnea lengths (with my heart pumping fast and co2 building up) - if I spend long enough in the pool messing about like that (usually around 1.5hrs) all of a sudden holding my breath feels really easy.

Actually last time it happened to me I went to the bottom of the pool at the end of my session to blow some bubble rings, and at some point after blowing lots of rings I realised I was just stood there at the bottom of the pool for quite some time, with no urge to breath whatsoever and lungs almost empty. I have to say I freaked out a bit!
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe the next step in competitive freediving? "The Self-Induced Hyper Mode, Beyond The No-Warmup".

I think it might be related to why Herbert spends so many hours doing static attempts before his max? I have to say that my dives always feel a bit easier towards the end of the session unless I am tired by the session or I have taken many contractions during the session (at some point I just simply get tired of having contractions)
Posted via Mobile Device

This happened to me as well in games 7 and 8 of an all-day UWH tournament.

I think we're onto something lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow so strange, well we know how to achieve this mode and that it some how helps the breath hold..but i wonder how safe isit when in this kind of hyper mode.
Surely having a high heart rate, high CO2 level and possibly low O2 at a depth with out any contractions must make one close to a shallow water black out....
But not one blackout the whole 8 hours..the only strange feeling was when we got back to shore, i felt quite sick (tired sick) and so weak (couldint even clench fist).

Dom.

Reactions: Sorandril
Well... A few thoughts Dom:

1. Having a high heart rate at the surface should actually be beneficial (moving blood around and oxygenating the body). As long as your HR drops when you dive, your O2 levels could even be higher so no increased risk of BO...

2. Having a high CO2 level might make the body go into O2-conservation mode quicker?
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Sorandril
True.. i forgot about that! (thanks simos)
And no my heart rate was up the whole time, that was realy weird.

Do you think its fine then to use this mode all the time and for such long periods of time??

Dom.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT