• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Stranger things have happened...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

calliecal

May 27, 2008

Attachments

• surfing hippo.jpg
    surfing hippo.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Love the hippo pic! I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't resist when I saw that.

Ya, it was quite cute! Everyone followed the story of the hippo quite closely for almost a month as it travelled south and then headed back north again.
Sadly the hippo didn't make it and had to be shot :(

What was its deal? Why was it in the ocean instead of rivers?

Nobody has any idea why. It has the biologists and conservationists fairly baffled. Thing is, they have very thin skin that is very sensitive that should not be condusive to being in such a salty environment... theoretically anyway. But it has happened before, the most famous story is of a hippo in the 1920's that travelled 1600 km along the KZN and Eastern Cape coasts of SA.
There are more photos at this site:
Pictured: The hippo who ditched his muddy waters to catch some sun and surf | Mail Online

Sadly both hippos were shot :( I don't know why the 1st one was but the 2nd one was shot because of increasing threat to humans. Which is incredibly sad since they had no proof that the animal had hurt anyone...

Was it getting increasingly close to them, or bluff-charging? It is kinda sad - the hippo looked so happy in the surf.

Hippos are one of the most dangerous animals known.. they have a nasty habit of killing people they come into contact with - a combination of their incredible size, large mouth and amazingly strong jaws leaves humans in second place. Unless of course a gun is involved.

They're not the best tempered animals around, killing plenty of people every year.

So, what happened is this animal wandered out of St Lucia Game Reserve in northern KZN and headed south in the surf where it was monitored by the authorities. As it got closer to humans the authorities alerted the public to his whereabouts and the problems involved and everyone was warned to stay away. He managed to get through Richards Bay but for some reason as it got closer to Ballito (a popular holiday destination) they decided the risk to human life was too great, combined with an unconfirmed report that it had killed one person (though a preliminary investigation found the wounds to be inconsistent with hippo-related injures and we've yet to hear about the official findings).

They couldn't try dart and capture him for fear of him running into the surf after darting and drowning there before they could get to him, complicated by the fact that they don't respond well to darting in ideal conditions anyway. I'm not sure why they couldn't try fund another way to herd it back home, though I imagine it would be a challenge I don't think it would be impossible.

I agree, damn humans. I was excited and keen to hear that it came south and got back home safely unlike his predecessor... I was hoping we'd come along way from just killing things that became inconvenient byproducts of our encroachment on their habitat... but I guess not. Seems we haven't progressed very far at all since the 1920's.

Reactions: Erik
Was it getting increasingly close to them, or bluff-charging? It is kinda sad - the hippo looked so happy in the surf.

He wasn't mock-charging or interacting with humans at all as far as I am aware. He would come to shore to look for food and eat (they're herbivores) and would return to the sea if he came to rocky areas he couldn't cross or during the day when it's too hot to be on land. Nobody has any idea why he didn't just stay where he was in the first place as there's plenty of food available there.

They tend to attack primarily when humans get between them and their young or their food (or return path back to water). Otherwise they tend to steer pretty clear of people. There are exceptions, of course. I guess that's what the authorities were concerned about.

The last hippo did attack and kill a local near where it whas finnaly shot.... I wonder what Hippo steak is like?

Reactions: agbiv
It was an unconfirmed attack, and the wounds weren't convincing if you happen to know someone who knows who you can ask :)

I believe they taste a bit like elephant... and you have to eat them the same way :D

Uncomfirmed report, sounds like the FBI speaking hahaha
Hows to eating them.... with a )*%)*%)* sharp knife hahaha Im killing myself

Well I was going with: Slowly, one bite at a time.
rofl

But knife and fork sounds good to me! Just gotta be sure to cook it properly. Hippo hide is a little easier to get through than elephant, I'd imagine. You may need a really sharp knife for that!

Every Ranger has a knife honed to devastation.... hurry up and come home i need someone to dive with

I heard your dive was cancelled yesterday and your fishing was also... That's pretty bleak :(

One more week, we can be diving next Sat morn if you like!

Start working your breath hold - at this rate it's going to be like it's the 1st time again... I've been practicing in the bath tub rofl

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT