• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

String it, Strap it, or Box it?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Where do you put your fish once shot

• String them on me

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Tie them to my float

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Put them in the ice box on the boat

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

settingsteel

SettingSteel
Supporter
Aug 14, 2007
When your hunting do you carry your fish on you strung up? do you tie them to your float? or do you swim to the boat and lay them in the icebox?

I don't exactly put it in the ice box. More Like throw them overboard and then when I am done fishing that spot I sort them out!

My new stringer for sure would not be attached to me when I go fishing. I plan to tie it to the Dive Flag buoy.

tone,
check out the speed stringer system from rob allen...if youre using a float, its a dream...you dont have to go back to your float everytime you shoot a fish...you just unclip the speed stringer from the butt of the gun pass the fish and clip it agauin..as you swim the fish makes its way back to the float...

Reactions: bgill
Hiya

Alot depends on the area you hunt in. The mediteranean spearo's often keep their fish on a body stringer, whilst South African divers NEVER use body stringers due the large number of sharks in their waters. Even a small shark can go for your fish and accidently bite you if you use a body stringer.

Stringing your fish onto your float is probably the most common method. Once again, if you're diving in sharky waters, this offers you more protection, as your fish will then be well away from you. Should a shark appear, he'd hopefully be more interested in your fish floating a good distance away from you. Try using stringers made of mono and not stainless steel cable, as sharks can bite through mono. With cable, you'd most likely lose your whole rig, including gun should a shark or seal grab your fish.

If the boat is anchored, its a schlep to swim back to the boat and put every fish fish in it. We spear with the boat constantly close by. So, after each fish, we call the boat to come and collect the fish. It gets the fish out of the water and away from any sharks.

Reactions: bgill
Shark and size depending... sting it to the float, or throw it in the kayak. Kingfish always straight in to the kayak: they seem to attract more interest from bronze wailers, lost 2 already!

With only the really bad spots(they are always the best though)I some times hold the fish out of the water and swim it to the boat,

Marwan,speed stringer all the way

Stringer is attached to the float and fish get attached to the stringer as does a goodie bag for any tasty shellfish or crustaceans that come my way.
For me its all on the float.

I did a brief search but can not seem to find any solid info. Can you point me to a link or attach some pics of this system? It sounds like a great idea.

http://forums.deeperblue.net/beginner-hunting/71653-fish-stringer-bad-loss.html
youll find some pics here in the post by miles...
basically, the spike is tied up to your float line and clipped on to the handle of your gun (to the little loop at the bottom of most handles), so you have the gun handle, a clip, the spike and then the float line which you could attach directly to your float OR, there is another part of the speed stringer system, basically a short SS cable with a flopper, that you tie between the float line and the float, the purpose of this extension/flopper is 1: to ensure that the fish do not travl back up your float line
2: easy to remove the fish just unclip the ss cable from the float and all the fish just slide down
AMazing system, been using it for quite some time...

Reactions: ILDiver
Nice, Thanks Marwan. That looks like a great setup, I'll have to find a bar like that. So simple too!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…