• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

stringer positions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sunny guy

Nov 18, 2013
does any one know, is it more beneficial to have your stringer on your belt or on your safety buoy marker.

Its definetly better to have it on a float. My ideal setup is 20m ski-rope(get it in any hardware shop) anda 7l float with stringer attachted to it.

Its also safer. Some spearo's got bitten by sharks because they used a body stringer. My 2 cents worth

In general & definitely for beginners, I would recommend attaching your stringer to your diver-down float - it's simple & safer.

Using a waist-stringer is inherently more dangerous. Also, it should be soft enough to cut easily (e.g. monofilament but not steel or metal cable) - as it could get tangled up while you are diving. It also needs to be rigged carefully, to avoid tangles & to avoid compromising the quick-release of your weight-belt. However, it can have several advantages . for example:
a. The stringer is closer to hand - you don't need to haul your float in or swim to it. So it is potentially quicker to string a fish.
b. The spike is close to hand - if you wish to use that to dispatch a fish rather than a knife/spike (although the pins tend to be shorter, slimmer & blunter ).
c. Strung fish arouse the curiosity of other fish and can attract them in, they also distract the fishes' attention from the diver. Attracting fish towards your float can be handy but attracting fish to you works even better in my experience.

I use both.

UPDATE: Also - waist-stringers would obviously be dangerous/foolhardy in waters with dangerous sharks. Bloody, oily fish is what they like, although some of the big sharks prefer seals (ever noticed how much a spearo looks like a seal...). Be careful.

Last edited:
I use my float line between the float and the gun as stringer . That's a compromise between the two. I made a speed needle in SS and attached it to the float line. Se Photo.

Jégwan

Reactions: poildeq
I use my float line between the float and the gun as stringer . That's a compromise between the two. I made a speed needle in SS and attached it to the float line. Se Photo.

Jégwan

View attachment 37254
Nice job making your own s/steel stringer Jegwan Speed-stringers are an interesting option. In addition to a stringing needle, Rob Allen also offer a cable with a spear flopper/barb that fits between the float & the float line, so that when(/if) the fish works its way right up the float line, it remains there. Probably makes sense for locations like Africa where there a lot of very big fish to be had & the fish are so big that they might hold you back - and the risk of attracting sharks to you, of course .

I like the idea a lot but I see a few potential drawbacks to using them that have deterred me from trying this so far:
a. You usually need to disconnect your gun from the float-line to thread the fish (so be careful not to drop your speargun/fish while doing this).
b. Some fish may not be tough enough to survive the trip up the float-line & could break off (grey-mullet are the classic example of a fish that can break off a stringer - I usually thread them through the middle of the skull rather just through the gills but I am still wary of loosing them).

Last edited:

Thanks.
Yes, that's right - I need to disconnect my gun from the float-line. It takes a little practice - especially at night.
I bought the S-binder for that - actually inspired by you - I hook the gun with the S-binder in a D-ring in my belt, if the weather or current is rough.

I have not tried to loose a fish yet, but again you're right about Grey Mullets. I take the needle under the gill plate and out of the mouth. Before I killed and bleeded the Mullets by cutting their "throat" and breaking their neck. Now I use ike jime and cut out the gills instead.

If you use a normal stringer you can push it trough the eyes of the fish. You won't loose that one - but it sure make the fish look less tasty if you serve it with the head on.. Newer forget to consider the wife-factor

Jégwan

Jégwan

View attachment 37254
This is the setup most of us here use in NZ I would never use the Kidney berley(fish strung on waist) system they use in the meds.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…